Cutting hole in crazed hatch...

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
I really want to add a solar vent to the boat to help with ventilation. My forward hatch (which is the perfect location) has crazed plastic.

If I try to cut a hole in that, will it jut crumble? The hatch seems totally stable/strong, even though totally crazed.

any idea?

thanks, Dave in Tampa

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Crazing is typically a surface issue and a good sharp cutting blade won't create any additional damage. If the problem is deeper like severe UV damage to plastic it needs replacing no matter what.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
You need to know what the hatch is made out of some plastics will crack if you use a sharp bit to drill through them. They make special bits for the job

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I'd tape off both sides of the hole you want to cut and use a coping saw to make the cut.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Contact a plastics fab shop. Tap Plastics, Select Plastics, Commercial Plastics, etc..

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes taping and buy the proper hole saw as I did and check AC hardware or Walmart not that much and go very slow because the blade gets hot but does best job.
Nick

Apr 13, 2015
Thanks guys. And yes I was expecting I'd get a hole saw to do it. Seems like the least stressful way to cut the plastic hole.

Will let you all know how it comes out when done.

Thanks again, Dave.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Thanks guys. And yes I was expecting I'd get a hole saw to do it. Seems like the least stressful way to cut the plastic hole.

Will let you all know how it comes out when done.

Thanks again, Dave.
Put some wood backing where the hole will come through!

Apr 13, 2015
Well just following up. turns out the hole needed to be 4.75 inches....not an easy hole saw to find. instead I took Ron's suggestion and cut a hole in a piece of wood and clamped that to the top of the hatch. Then drilled 3 holes (to be used for the final mounting of the mount-ring). I also cut a wooden ring to fit below the hatch and used screws through those 3 holes to tightly sandwich the lens in between the 2 pieces of wood. i then used a sabre saw with new fine tooth blade.

Worked like a charm! the crazing was just on the thin outer surface of the plastic. And turns out the lens was a full half inch thick...a lot thicker than i thought it was going to turn out to be. Easily mounted the vent...

Thanks - Dave

Attachments

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
When you, if you, ever replace those hatch lenses... I used 1/2 “ plexi. Looks great, stands up better, you can step on them... great upgrade.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Well just following up. turns out the hole needed to be 4.75 inches....not an easy hole saw to find. instead I took Ron's suggestion and cut a hole in a piece of wood and clamped that to the top of the hatch. Then drilled 3 holes (to be used for the final mounting of the mount-ring). I also cut a wooden ring to fit below the hatch and used screws through those 3 holes to tightly sandwich the lens in between the 2 pieces of wood. i then used a sabre saw with new fine tooth blade.

Worked like a charm! the crazing was just on the thin outer surface of the plastic. And turns out the lens was a full half inch thick...a lot thicker than i thought it was going to turn out to be. Easily mounted the vent...

Thanks - Dave
Very nicely done

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Dave, I see you are installing a solar vent in the hatch. Is your solar vent a Marinco 4" vent? I'm curious as to how you will be finishing the inside (boat side) of the hatch lens? My instructions say to cut a 4 1/2" hole (for a Marinco) and that you don't have to use the inside trim ring and can "finish the interior based on your preference" but does not give any info on how to accomplish that. Since you are cutting a 4 3/4" hole are you intending to use the interior trim ring to finish the interior? When you're done I'd love to see how you finished the interior side of the hatch?

Also, if anyone has pictures of the how the interior side of the hatch is finished for your Marinco 4" solar vent I'd sure like to see them so I have an idea of what to do to "finish the interior based on your preference". Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
4¾ in = 12cm a very standard size... available at IKEA and other fine stores even in the US!
An easy jibe on your measurement system... dating from roman times, used to be useful.
Sorry I couldn't resist, won't do it again.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
marinco sells a rubber donut that covers the inside - a head protector! don't remember what it's called, but it works great