Cutting hole for engine access

Sep 3, 2013
Beneteau 331 Brewer's Warwick
I have a Beneteau 331 two cabin model.It seems like everything I need to get to on the engine (Westerbeke 30B) is a blind reach and can't be easily accessed from either the front (under the stairs) or from the rear in the aft state room. Has anyone cut a hole through wood paneling in aft state room to access oil filter, dip stick, engine zinc, and raw water pump. Suggestions requested as I don't want to muck up the job as it is a beautiful piece of wood.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to say. I feel your pain though, I have the same situation on my 361. Wish I knew the answer.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I had the same problem with a engine access door on my C30. It was next to useless and I eventually became tired of fighting the problem. I removed the door, enlarged the opening. built a oak frame and new door all of which I stained to match the rest of the wood in the interior. It solved my problem and made engine work easier.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
+1 on the deck plate. Make it oversized because a plate is a plate, and a few inches larger won't change the look. You might as well do something effective.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I have created extra spaces and access in my boat and the key to success is a Bosch (or brand of your choice) oscillating saw.

1 Confirm that the panel you are going to cut into is non structural.
2 Get matching trim to put around the edge of the piece you are going to cut out.
3 Using the above mentioned saw, cut out the (presumably rectangular) access hole you want. The saw makes a very thin cut with neat edges. Use blue masking tape to mark where you wish to make the cuts. Use a nice new sharp blade.
4 Attach the trim to the piece you cut out and it will fit back in very neatly. It cane be hinged or latched.
5 Another possibility is to use smoky perspex to cover the hole.

Good luck

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have a Beneteau 331 two cabin model.It seems like everything I need to get to on the engine (Westerbeke 30B) is a blind reach and can't be easily accessed from either the front (under the stairs) or from the rear in the aft state room. Has anyone cut a hole through wood paneling in aft state room to access oil filter, dip stick, engine zinc, and raw water pump. Suggestions requested as I don't want to muck up the job as it is a beautiful piece of wood.
This is how I would do it.....Make a template the size you want the hole out of plywood so the template outlines the hole diameter. Install of carbide spiral router bit that pulls down not up (dust comes at you not pushed through). Using the template attached to the bulkhead with double sided tape, cut the opening starting with a plunge cut right up against the template. Finish the hole, remove the template, back block the opening, add trim to the plug you cut out to cover the kerf cut and now a hatch, install latches and now you have a access hole. The router method gives you nice clean corners. You just have to keep the bit up against the template. If you aren't familiar with routers, I recommend practicing on a piece of scrap. The thinner the bit, the smaller the kerf.

henryD

Jun 11, 2012
Beneteau 331 Jersey City
I also have a 331 with the Westerbeke also. I do not have an access panel. Just a project I have not gotten to. However, I have a friend who cut one in the side panel that allows access to the impeller, oil dipstick, etc. it was a plastic removable panel and worked well.

Bum

Mar 18, 2008
Beneteau 331 w/swing keel New Gretna, NJ, Bass River
I did cut an access hole about 8" in diameter. I bought a round white plastic screw in access panel which was two pieces. A round trim piece with flange w/ screw holes and the access plate twists in and out for access. I can reach the impeller housing and see what I am doing and also the pencil zinc. I also added a 2" round hole adjacent to the access plate for the pencil zinc so I could clean out the pieces of the pencil zinc if I waited too long to replace the zinc. I just got home from the boat, if you want photos, I will do that next weekend. I had to do this, we have spent 7 months on our boat twice taking it South to the Keys & Bahamas from NJ. Lots of hours on the engine and quite a few impeller changes.