Cutter-rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2006
- - zeeland
I want to change my sloop-rig into a cutter-rigg to handle the foresails easier in strong or stormy windconditions. Does somebody has don this before. Does somebody made any experience with this? Or do you know somebody who did so? Thank you

B

Bill

Cutter rig

Hi Joop, I also have a 352 (with a tall rig) that I would like to put a staysail on but I don't want to install running backstays or put a support through the V-berth. Instead, I had a #3 jib (100%) made and put tracks along the forward part of the cabin but on the deck, for sheeting. It has worked very well and the boat will go to weather better than ever in 25kts of wind with one reef in the main. I haven't used it in winds above 28 true but I think it could probably handle 30 kts if the seas were not too big. If you do put a staysail on, let me know how it works.

Feb 14, 2006
- - zeeland
Cutter Rig

hi Bill, thank you for your ideas. I let you know if something happens. By the way, I have only the standard rig, but long enough in bad weather! Ciao, Joop

Feb 6, 2006
- - The Netherlands
Converting to cutter

Hi, I'll probably be converting to cutter rig later this year. The backstays were worrying me at first, but my rigger commented that I can use dyneema or some other high-tech rop for backstays. This means that I will not have to deal with steel backstays, and I can get them out of harms way a LOT easier. This, and the added bonus of having a cutter sail in really heavy weather, are arguments which tip the balance. I am still working on an idea to have a code-0 like furling staysail, which I could als run with a bigger cutter sail to get more power when close/broad reaching. Imho I get a very nice combination of getting more power in light winds, and excellent handling of very rough winds. Kind regards, Sjoerd

Status
Not open for further replies.