Cutlass Bearing Size - Yamaha 25/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
It's time to replace my cutlass bearing in my 1979 Yamaha 25. It is a special order and I should have one on hand before haulout. Does anyone have the dimensions for it?

I know it is metric and won't be available locally. It would be great to get suggestions for sourcing one.

Thanks in advance for the help

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I think it is going to depend on the diameter of your prop shaft.
I haven't seen metric sizes for Cutless bearings listed.
1 in. = 25 mm
1/2 in. ~= 12 mm

Sep 5, 2010
Yamaha 25 Hebe Heaven
Hi Ameseys, may I ask how to identify the bearing should be replaced? My Y25 is also made in 1979.

Thanks!

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
The bearing is available in the web and it is in imperial unit , internal dia 7/8". I have to check the details which is kept in my boat . Let you know later .

I have replaced it two times in the past 25 years . The price in last year is some US 120.00

Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
Thanks, so much. It will save me a lot of trouble to order in advance of haul out. Otherwise, my boat will sit in the yard until the part arrives. Please do let me know.

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
I have some information in hand now. In my Y25, the dimension of the cutlass bearing is , shaft dia. 7/8", outside dia. 1 1/4" (it is an odd size ) , the length is 3.5" to 4".
It is made by Morse Marine bearing . Their model is Blenny , 90-349. You can search in the Google to get the supplier or by others , here is one on sale
http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/marine-bearings/naval-brass-inch-cutless-bearings.

There are also some information on site for its replacement

http://www.cruisingworld.com/how-to/maintenance/check-the-cutless-bearing-on-the-hard
http://www.diybob.com/diyCutlessBearing.htm

In the Yamaha , the bearing was fixed by a bolt (set screw)using hexagon key . After you clean the brass strut that supported the bearing/ shaft ,you can see that bolt about 3/8" in dia on one side or both side .
You need some DIY tool to get the bearing out . ( a tube with internal dia of 1 1/4" , a long screw in 3/4" , some wash in 1 1/4". you see the first link for the cutlass bearing replacement and U will understand )

It should be replaced if it has been there for more than 10 years . dee.yeah , that bearing is available in HK .

Good luck.

Sep 5, 2010
Yamaha 25 Hebe Heaven
Thx Boffin. Great info on the cutlass bearing. I'll inspect mine on next regular maintenance.

On the other hand, I'm a bit afraid to remove the shaft for cutlass bearing replacement, as re-installing the shaft requires accurate alignment.

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
For some 25 years , you need to get it replaced. The alignment has been fixed by the position of the bearings , one is the cutlass bearing in the strut outside the hull , the other is a rubber bearing in the bilge . You need to disassemble the coupling from the gear box and from the shaft . You need a set of box wrench , the DIY tool as mentioned before and some works inside and out of course .

Sep 5, 2010
Yamaha 25 Hebe Heaven
Boffin, thx again for the reminders. I can imagine how much work it is. I do have the DIY tools which I used to remove the bearings on my motorbike wheel and other work on my bicycles. But I would probably need someone's help if I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.