Cutlass Bearing, How Much Play?

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
MaineSail,
As part of my winterization checklist I checked my cutlass bearing and am feeling a bit of play in the shaft -- between a 1/32 & 1/16 side to side.

Doing a quick check online I'm seeing a lot of different numbers for tolerances, some up to 3/16 which seems excessive to me. Don Casey's book says some play is normal but doesn't specify how much.

At what point do I need to think about replacing the cutlass bearing?

The boat is a 1995 Catalina 30 MK III with a Universal 25XPB engine and a 1" prop shaft. The motor mounts were replaced last winter and a dripless shaft seal installed.

Thanks in advance,
Jim McGee

Aug 10, 2011
none none Northern California
If you can feel it wiggle, it's probably time to change it. If you do it over the winter you'll save the cost of an emergency haulout and all that hassle, and you'll have one less item to worry about over the summer.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
As Oldersalt Says .........................

If you can feel it wiggle, it's probably time to change it. If you do it over the winter you'll save the cost of an emergency haulout and all that hassle, and you'll have one less item to worry about over the summer.
................. any play indicates it's time to replace. 3/16" play would mean self-destruction is imminent.

My engine has around 1800 running hours and not a trace of play yet. Maybe a result of constantly checking the engine alignment and keeping the prop clean. Here, I must confess to coating the prop with some new goop every year and haven't found one yet that works in our waters.

No disrespect to Mr. Casey, but IMHO some of his ideas on engines are quite "different". I'd defer to Nigel as the final word.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
A tad off topic, but Ralph-

What "goop" do you use on your prop, and how well does it work?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A Waste of Time .......................

What "goop" do you use on your prop, and how well does it work?
................... in my opinion. Let me count the ways:

1. diaper rash ointment - useless
  2. diaper rash ointment with penicilin - useless
  3. lanolin - useless
  4. Molylube grease - useless
  5. an unknown bottom paint - useless
  6. Vaseline with Neomycin antibiotic - useless
Of course they're all useless because they're quickly eroded off the surface of the blades. I've never found a trace of the previous year's potion on the blades after a year of service (about 120 running hours).

I haven't done it in the last few years.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
Mine had a little less than 1/16 play in it and I decided to replace it. Getting the old out was quite a chore. I learned that in a previous life they installed a 3" where a 4" is required. I haven't checked the shaft alignment yet. I was wondering if I should install the new bearing first or just use shims I have to position the shaft. I have not removed the shaft.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I had about 1/16 play and I replaced the bearing and the shaft. I found that the shaft was also worn out. I had 750 hours on the engine.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
i can wiggle so probably will replace. Question is, i only have about 300 hours since last changed 5 seasons ago. is this abnormal? should i be checking alignment? no vibration, so never felt alignment was an issue, but maybe it is??

thanks.

Rodd

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
i can wiggle so probably will replace. Question is, i only have about 300 hours since last changed 5 seasons ago. is this abnormal? should i be checking alignment? no vibration, so never felt alignment was an issue, but maybe it is??

thanks.

Rodd
It is not "normal" in the sense that it is right, but it is "normal" in the sense that most boats are HORRIBLY aligned thus premature cutlass wear. So you are in the "norm" more than out of it, sadly.... ;)

Our cutlass has nearly 700 hours on it and is as tight as the day it was new.... It is all about how well it is aligned as to how long it will go before it gets sloppy.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Maine-
now that i know cutlass will be replaced, any tips for removing the shaft? I Have a bronze shaft that is easily separated from my V-drive; however, I remember having a real tough time getting the shaft to slide down through the old bearing. It was really a bear to get it all through the strut bearing. Any lubricant recommended or use of a slide hammer style weight on the shaft?

Also, I have read through your advice on packing. With the bronze shaft I seem to read that the preferred packing is just the traditional flax packing without graphite impregnated. Is this your latest thinking?

Rodd

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
If your engine mounts are bad, this will cause vibration and/or torque deflection, mis-aligning the the drive train, causing premature cutlass bearing wear as well.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Maine,
Back to my original question. Is 1/32 - 1/16 play on a 1" shaft too much play requiring replacement?

I've already decided to do the job but am wondering what's "normal".

Thanks,
Jim

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
hi Jim-
Happy holidays to you and the board!

I was checking your question and see that Nigel Calder recommends 1/16" play per inch of shaft diameter as being acceptable. You would fall into that category and. according to Calder, you don't need to replace the bearing yet. If you are at all concerned, though, and it's not too bad of a job, why not just replace it?

Rodd

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maine,
Back to my original question. Is 1/32 - 1/16 play on a 1" shaft too much play requiring replacement?

I've already decided to do the job but am wondering what's "normal".

Thanks,
Jim
I feel 1/16" is far to much slop but there are many boats out there running around with close to this, and they usually have vibration issues... Heck the rubber walls of many of these bearings is less than 1/16" thick so 1/16" thick means you have very little rubber left.... I'd probably be comfortable with 1/32" at the worst..

Normal is no "slop" side to side or up down and with a well aligned engine you can get thousands of hours with zero slop.. Ideally you should not feel any hard slop meaning when you wiggle the shaft all should be snug & tight. It should not be "free" then hit a wall then be "free" then hit the opposite wall. Walk around the yard and you'll see what I mean. You can feel "slop" vs. no slop...