Cut insert or not?

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
As our boat does not have the 50 gallon optional water tank in the bow, the boat has a large and unused space in the bow under the V-berth. To access this space, their is a large insert cut out from the panel under the mattresses. It is easily 5" wide and 2" wide. As it is beneath both mattresses, to access the space require removing the mattresses from the forward cabin.

I'm thinking removing the insert and cutting it into two peices, about 40%/60%. That way, I only need to flip one mattress onto the other to access the space.

Is this a reasonable thing to do, or am I overlooking something?

So, cut or not?

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Will the newly cut edges have the support required to support someone laying on it? The thought experiment you need to do is: if I cut this piece 60/40, can I still lay down on it without it collapsing below. You should be able to remove the mattresses and crawl around or lay down on the plywood no matter how you alter them.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
If there's not enough strength, you could add a beam under both to keep them supported.

But that's the way the boards under my C-30's vberth came from the factory. Very useful to toss all the stuff on one side to open the other side.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
On the 351 it is 2 pieces , one screw permanently and the other is just a small piece to allow access to the tank port hole .The tank actually helps support the wood. I would experiment with 2 new pieces of wood and leave the original alone

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As our boat does not have the 50 gallon optional water tank in the bow, the boat has a large and unused space in the bow under the V-berth. To access this space, their is a large insert cut out from the panel under the mattresses. It is easily 5" wide and 2" wide. As it is beneath both mattresses, to access the space require removing the mattresses from the forward cabin.

I'm thinking removing the insert and cutting it into two peices, about 40%/60%. That way, I only need to flip one mattress onto the other to access the space.

Is this a reasonable thing to do, or am I overlooking something?

So, cut or not?
i assume you mean 5 feet x 2 feet?

probably cutting it across the 5 foot length would work. Cutting it longitudinally might not work.
How thick is the board?

Greg

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Yeah, 5’ by 2’. Doh!

I will be at the boat on Sunday and I will check on the inputs. And take a picture.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
my 423 has storage under the mattress.... panels are half width ways and have a center beam for support.... no issues. Sure you can modify this to make it work for you.

Good Luck

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Gosh, was I wrong. (My wife would ask, "Why does that surprise you?")

There are two access inserts and the aft one is closer to 4' by 3'. I didn't measure the forward one as it is more oddly shapped, a stubby pyramid.

Thanks for all the good inputs. The plywood is good, nine-layer, 1/2" thick marine plywood. I am hesitant to cut it, so I will take the suggestion to make new pieces. I'll need to bring the inserts home and outline them to make templates. It would be too hard to add a fore-and-aft support under the aft insert due to the drawer under much of the space. However, the two existing fore-and-aft supports would permit me to make a port-to-starboard cut with the resulting smaller section not too hard to slip out from the two stacked mattresses.

I'm starting to think the forward space is too difficult to access. Since there is no seperator between the two spaces, I could put rarely accessed items in there and get to them from the opening in the aft insert. Maybe just work on the aft access for now.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
With that drawer I. There, I would think it really limits your use of the space around it...you don’t want something getting under or stuck around the drawer.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Don't waste storage space ! You chould be able to find something to go in there.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Is that a pull out drawer or a box that just sits in the space?

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
It is a pull out drawer. Good size.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Put 1/4” side panels on your drawer space then you can use the vertical space on the sides for additional storage. As they say “box in your drawers”.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
It looks like you could put a support towards the bow where it would be behind the drawer and then do the wavy cut joint over the support to allow the both parts of the insert to be supported. Assuming the drawer in your photo is fully inserted it would appear to give you a 60/40 split of the larger insert.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Thanks for all the inputs. I got the job done today. I picked up marine plywood from
Chesapeake Light Craft ( if I spend too much time there I will buy a small boat kit). Traced the orginial piece and cut away. I think this will work. The access to the space below the drawer is better than the pictures make it appear.
IMG_0073.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg