Customs Decal Renewal Time

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For those of us who live on the US/Canada border and like to sail across the border we need to a "Customs Decal" if our boat is 30 ft or longer. Today I received notification that I can now renew my decal online for 2021.

A little while later this showed up in the Syracuse paper:

I think I'll wait to renew my decal. :biggrin:

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I might just go ahead and renew now. It was a painless process to get the sticker in the first place, but if there is a backlog created by delaying now and then a rush to renew once the announcement is made that it's OK to travel across the border again... I'm going to want to be on my way ASAP. I wouldn't want to let my passport expire right now either.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Dave, I'm on the northern side of the border and miss the San Juans and my friends. The "cruisers permit" here is $27 but can be extended every year with no additional cost if you get there before the expiry date. No brainer to renew for many reasons, even if the border stays closed for some time. Thx for the heads up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I got a letter. I decided to wait a bit. Who knows if they will open the border anytime soon.

I will make my request so that 2021 can be the year to 360 Vancouver Island.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Today I received notification that I can now renew my decal online for 2021.
Dave, do you have a link? I didn't get a message and will have to check my paperwork to see if I ever gave them an email address when I first checked in at Roche in 2017. Probably did...just an ole geezer...:beer:

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Some of us 'ole geezers' probably never intended to give them an email, and are very grateful to those who did for the renewal notifications received via internet forum!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Here's the link:

The CPB is more concerned that you have a decal number than the decal itself. If you don't have one when you arrive at the US border they will let you order one upon arrival. Once you have the receipt for the decal you are good to go. Besides, in 36 years of crossing the US/Canada border in a sailboat, I've never been visited by agents from either side, only phone call and now the ROAM app.

Last year I was being proactive and planning for the big trip so I ordered it early. $26 went to support the Federal Treasury with no benefit to me. This year I'll wait until spring.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Last year I was being proactive and planning for the big trip so I ordered it early. $26 went to support the Federal Treasury with no benefit to me. This year I'll wait until spring.
:plus::facepalm:

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
NOT applying for our DTOPS until I can spend 3-4 months in the Bahamas. But with an ailing FIL and a devoted daughter for a wife, I don't know when that will be.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I already got mine, the Bahamas will need to open to tourists eventually. I’ve got to make amends for having a bit of confusion two years ago when they changed the renewal date at DTops. Cheap insurance.