Custom Mattress.....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So for Christmas we are getting a custom mattress for our 423. Had one made for our last boat and it really was sweet.... we had a spring coil made by Portland Mattress. Now looking at the material options, we have Latex, Memory Foam and again Spring Coil. Read a lot good about Latex... being mold resistant, hypo-allergenic and cool which sounds nice and practical in a boating environment. Would love to get first hand comments and where you had it made.

Thanks!

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Latex mattress, it is cool as long as you have it in a cool and dry environment, not a boat's strong suit. If happy with your previous type why not repeat?

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Just trying to stay informed as I never want to miss out on new materials..... last one was made 10 years ago.

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
Before ordering custom mattresses for our Beneteau 393, we talked with three different vendors at the Annapolis Boat Show. While the spring versions are not bad and are powder coated to minimize the potential for rust, all three vendors agreed that the marine environment will ultimately rust. All three vendors also agreed that the memory foam versions provide excellent comfort, but my boat is located in Texas. All three vendors agreed that memory foam mattresses tend to hold heat, thus not the best option for our environment. Equally, all three vendors agreed that the latex mattresses are close in comfort to the memory foam, are resistant to mold, and do not hold heat like the memory foam. We ultimately ordered two latex mattresses with pillow tops. The comfort is remarkable and we consider this purchase one of the best we have made for the boat. The only mistake we made was in the thickness of the foam we ordered. Most vendors provided options for 6, 7 or 8" foam. The logic was that if 6" is comfortable, 8" would be better. We discovered that the 8" adds considerable weight to the mattress (our aft cabin is between a queen and king size) and even with the hinged design, it is a bear to get in and out of the cabin or to even fold if we need access to the space below the deck of the bed. I would highly recommend that you save both money and your back and order the 6" foam with pillow top.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Cest......
Thanks! I agree with the logic 6 is good 8 is better and might have done the same. We actually had a 6 inch spring with pillow top on last boat due to height in our aft cabin..... and it was dreamy. I heard the same with the latex being cool as well as the anti mold benefits. So who was your vendor of choice??
Thanks!

Greg

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
We bought a memory foam in a box, took the electric knife and trimmed to fit, including the tapering around the edges. Lee re-cut the original cover to fit, made a nice outer cover, then she made custom fit sheets and comforter, in our boats colors, for a topping. And least I forget pillow shams and a couple of throw pillows. (She's looking over my shoulder) We like the memory foam and have one at home and in our truck camper. We did use silk film and a vacuum to shrink it down small enough to get it into the aft cabin. We have never been close to the hard with a 6" mattress.;)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I have a natural latex mattress at home and love it. I agree with @Cest La Vie that latex is heavy and I concur that thickness doesn't necessarily add comfort. I recommend 4" or 5" thickness, 6" at most. Also, IMHO no need for pillow top. Mine had a heavy fabric cover with padded top and I found that if I flipped the mattress over the unpadded surface closer to the latex foam was better on my back than the padded top (but the fabric on the underside of the factory cover was not ideal as a top surface). I removed the factory cover completely, changed it for a thinner stretchy mattress cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PWNH4Q/ This allowed the mattress to be much more "conformal" and supportive to our bodies (even softer on the surface than the pillow top, and yet more evenly supportive overall).
One other tip -- natural latex foam is very "grabby" on a knife and that makes it difficult to cut cleanly and evenly in a straight line. I suggest you have the supplier do any custom cuts for you.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Aye to the above. We got 6 inch foam and would think about going back to 4 inch because we don’t really believe the extra thickness has added to the comfort

We also put hypervent under the mattress and that was a big improvement, there is no moisture under there and we are living aboard currently. Well worth considering

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
NYSail- we used Portland Boat Mattress-they were great to work with and the delivered products were of the highest quality.