Custom font for boat lettering

Aug 23, 2020
Catalina 310 323 Mamaroneck
Hi -- I'd like to get a name decal for my boat using my own custom font. I have the .ttf file for the font I'd like to use, and am looking for a shop that will let me use this font instead of picking one from their list. Any suggestions?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Seems like any local sign shop would be able to computer generate vinyl transfer lettering in any size, color, or font. It would be great if you could support a local business and get exactly what you need.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I suspect that any good, local sign shop will do that.
Custom adhesive lettering and graphics is what their whole purpose is. They would need the ttf file and and any artwork in a vector based format.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I take it you are also looking for the shop to do the design work? Otherwise, you could do it yourself and just provide the shop with your png or jpeg graphic and they wouldn't need or care about having the custom ttf file.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Did exactly what was suggested above ten years ago, so I imagine every shop on the block can use your .ttf today.

If you like playing with drawing programs, I used a few pictures of the profile of my boat to size up the font size and layout exactly by reference to the old vessel liscense number in the picture. Not too big, not too small.

Removed the old name by computer:
Boat With Name Removed.JPG

Too plain
Caribbean Island.JPG

Maybe, maybe not
Name with Smartdraw.JPG

Close enough
Closeup of Profile with Dimensions.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
But Ralph you put it in front of you not behind you. It is a fronting. We can’t put it behind us now.

It is so stressing.

Aug 23, 2020
Catalina 310 323 Mamaroneck
Thanks everyone - I’ll post the results once done. I believe I’ve chosen font and placement wisely. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just be sure you get the letters large enough of the Coast Guard to read through their binoculars. If it is too small or the letters blur together they just may send a boat over to do an inspection, when they can not find the boat in their database.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
So because Impetuous' hull is being repaired and the yard is sure they can not match the old gel coat/paint, I'm getting the entire hull repainted. That leads to removing the name from the stern and the striping and emblems from the side. We went to our local sign company to get an estimate (and do the work because he's local) and the owner asks what font did we want for the letters. What have you got? He says anything from www.dafont.com Currently, the site has 58,000+ fonts available for download.

It took us three days to decide on 10 fonts we liked and another day to narrow it down to one. Then we went to www.pantone.com and the Pantone Matching System to pick the color we wanted. There we ended up with three shades of green because we couldn't decide which was the closest to the color of the bimini and sailcovers. But that was OK with the sign shop as he uses different manufacturers and can better match any of them with three choices of color.

We learned a lot about print and vinyl and skins just discussing what we were doing with the sign shop. And I thought I would pass along some of that knowledge.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So because Impetuous' hull is being repaired and the yard is sure they can not match the old gel coat/paint, I'm getting the entire hull repainted. That leads to removing the name from the stern and the striping and emblems from the side. We went to our local sign company to get an estimate (and do the work because he's local) and the owner asks what font did we want for the letters. What have you got? He says anything from www.dafont.com Currently, the site has 58,000+ fonts available for download.

It took us three days to decide on 10 fonts we liked and another day to narrow it down to one. Then we went to www.pantone.com and the Pantone Matching System to pick the color we wanted. There we ended up with three shades of green because we couldn't decide which was the closest to the color of the bimini and sailcovers. But that was OK with the sign shop as he uses different manufacturers and can better match any of them with three choices of color.

We learned a lot about print and vinyl and skins just discussing what we were doing with the sign shop. And I thought I would pass along some of that knowledge.
@WayneH What kind of paint are you going to use to paint your boat? I'm looking at painting mine and there are a lot of options.

dj