Current State of Things

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I talked to a construction manager one time about winter construction in Minnesota. He's a mid-Atlantic kind of guy whom is used to working outdoors thru the winter. But he was assigned to a job in St. Cloud or some place like that to build a big box store through the winter. They had a construction trailer outside and he said that when he first got there he never felt so cold in all his life, just as winter was getting started. The locals told him: "Don't worry, you'll get used to it. Soon, even 0 degrees F will feel warm." So one sunny day in February, he's wearing his normal short sleeve shirt in the trailer and goes outside to talk with a sub-contractor, not bothering to put a jacket on or anything to cover his shirt sleeves. They have a leisurely conversation and he goes back in the trailer and happens to glance at the thermometer outside the window. Sure enough, it says 0 degrees F and it hardly even caused him to flinch!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Snow in the air is my clue to stop sailing in shorts. Usually still another month of sailing left after that day. Of course once the water freezes solid there is nothing to be done. Except fly south and sail often as you can. This winter Texas - San Diego - Texas - Texas - Costa Rica - Texas - Grenada.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Minnesotta, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Minnehaha. What does "Minne" mean? Is it a Native American term?
Yes it is. Loosely, "Minne" is "water". Dakota to be specific. Minnetonka for example is Big Water.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I've only heard but after a winter chill TanLess?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I know in Oregon we are said to have a green (mossy) tinge due to rain and lack of sun.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Is it Welcome back Clay?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Is there a word for negative tan? Less tan than tanless. The Winter Sun above 40 deg. N Lat. actually sucks the melatonin out of your skin.
:eek:<Oh the humanity!

-Will (Dragonfly)
We took the grandkids to the top of Haleakala, on Maui, a couple of days ago. The temperature was about 50 degrees with a slight breeze. Felt cold to us, but the Canadians standing next to us were in short sleeves. We have seen ice here before, and Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, in the background, usually have snow on them at this time of year.
IMG_3377.jpg

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
Here in Michigan it is said there are only (2) months a year, winter and construction (or barrel planting season). We just received the astute honor of worst roads in the USA..... woopee
Hey, a fellow Michigander! Its difficult to really understand how poor the roads are here unless you come here to see it for yourself. And you might think its normal, unless you drive outta state. Then you think to yourself...."huh, this must be what roads are supppsed to be like."

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I was just thankful the truck started the other morning. Forcast is saying more arctic air coming our way. Could see negative 30 next week.View attachment 160628
A number of years ago, in February, my wife and I returned from a three week stay at our place in SW Florida. The next morning, we strolled onto the deck of our house in Plymouth, MA, and read -11 degrees on the thermometer.:yikes: I signed my retirement papers shortly after, and we have lived in warm climates ever since.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
-11? When we kept horses, that would be about when I'd consider blankets for them. My wife, at first, wanted to blanket them at 20 deg. But what do you do for them at -20 or lower? They never had a problem, they never complained and they were very very furry. When I took their blankets off at 20 degrees or higher, they would be soaking, dripping, wet underneath.

Our ducks, on the other hand, were all nestled in to a big pile of hay under a canopy in 9 below. They have hutches they can go in, but usually don't. I stacked hay bails around their canopy, too give it walls. The next morning, one of the ducks couldn't walk. She had frozen her feet solid. I thought we were going to have to kill her. She didn't complain (huddle or lay down and act in pain, not eat, any thing that I might have done). So I put her in the chicken coop where it was completely closed in with heated water and two days later, she's up and walking around as well as the others. Her feet went from ash grey to bright red. I've read that birds don't have much circulation or feeling in their legs and feet. Now I have evidence to prove it.
The other ducks didn't have any issues at all. Chickens get frostbite on their combs, but they return fully in the Summer.

The turkeys have no problems at all with the cold.

Meanwhile, in Siberia:

https://siberiantimes.com/other/oth...mwear-parade-on-skis-and-snowboards/?curCity=
BUuRrRrRrR!

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Will, I've seen bikinis on the slopes of Mt. Baker in Washington. I guess there are crazies all over the world!

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
We told our staff this morning that the office will be closed on Wednesday when the worst of it is predicted for Chicago. The majority of them use public transportation and those systems tend to become unreliable in extreme low temperatures. It’s just to dangerous to have people trying to commute in the temperatures and wind chills forecast. We’ll do what work we can from home by phone and on-line.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Schools closed all over as well for the next 2 days. So our forecast low early Thursday morning is -29, high this coming Saturday is 35. A nice 64 degree swing in a few days. o_O