Curiosity might be making me overthink

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everybody
As you probably know by all my posts, I am in the process of « modernizing « my 1972 Pearson 30
I love the boat, but it does lack in some ways and I am trying to resolve that.

just out of curiosity, has anyone ever cut up a cockpit seat to add a lazarette ?
My reasoning is this:
The port coffin berth is only used as storage but is often left empty du to access, my boat lists to starboard at the moment simply because I have both 6v golf cart batteries and the 8cuft fridge on the same side.
In my mind it would make sense to move the batteries to the port side, a lot of wiring, but…
I am also loosing a lot of storage room under that berth.
So here is an idea (brain fart) I had this morning:
Cut out the unused berth, but keep a shelf for the batteries. Open up the cockpit seat to make a lazarette like the one on starboard. Lengthen my galley counter on the port side (not existing at the moment) make a storage cabinet under it.

i know it is a lot of work, which would take place in fall and spring.
I am open to any suggestions or comments
Fred

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Interesting idea, a lot of work, and some essential small details to consider.

The first issue is managing water and drainage from the cockpit locker door (nee seat). A sealing system would need to be built and installed, relying on some foam tape to seal it will be problematic in the long run. Most of the lockers I've seen have a "shoe box" top and sloping sides to let water drain off the seats. Retro fitting something like that will take a lot of planning.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I think I'd be more inclined to develop systems to allow better access to that area from the inside. Might take more mental time energy to figure out, but a lot easier to execute.

I had a boat years ago where that quarter berth was removed and that space used for storage. But 100% accessible from the inside.

dj

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think the most complex part of this project would be the water drainage channels in/around the lid. Aside from that, you could "cheat" and mount a Rubbermaid bin with a drain hose under the seat/lid. It would definitely make it easier to clean

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
D Max has an idea worth considering.
Just be aware, there may be a rudderpost/steering gear just below the seat.
YMMV

Aug 17, 2013
I will definitely be looking into those hatches.
There is nothing under the seat a part from a berth

Aug 17, 2013
Ok, so time went by and I did a few things, still a work in progress, I will take pics next time I am on the boat, but so far…
I took the 2 golf cart batteries from the starboard lazarette and installed them on then port side quarter berth/storage area, they fit very nicely and are very secure there, this does 2 things, it frees up some nice room in the lazarette and helps keep the boat sitting straight, it was listing to starboard with the batteries and the fridge( too much beer).

moved the electrical panel to port as well, made a simple plywood panel for now, looks nicer than before, added the bilge switch, the inverter switch, radio (am/fm) switch panel, AC breaker panel and AC plug, later I will also add the vhf to the panel

IMG_2465.jpeg

not finished yet, the main part of the wiring is complete, just need to wire the mast lights and pass AC wire to the old plugs (add a junction box where the old panel was).

I mounted the inverter this afternoon, will wire it over the weekend.
Going to wait and get a 12 gang switch panel.

still a work in progress.
Will update once I do more.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It all looks to be progressing in a positive direction, Fred. Keep at it. :beer::biggrin: