Cure for play on the tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2012
Yamaha Yamaha 25 MkII Annapolis
How do you fellow Yam 25 Mk II owners deal with play in the tiller. I have some, it is not to annoying or disconcerting but I would like to know if there is any way of tightening things down, short of pulling the boat out of the water and pulling the rudder assembly out? What would be my likely culprit? A loose bearing? Thanks all.

Sep 5, 2010
Yamaha 25 Hebe Heaven
I have the same problem too, but haven't fixed it yet. I checked the stern inside the hull, it should be wear of the nylon(?) bush bearing. It appears it has to be custom made. To replace it, I bet it's safer to do it on land, as you don't want to loose your rudder when disassembling it.

The above is my best guess only, please correct me if anything is wrong.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Have you pulled off the tiller head to make sure that the "play" is not in that fitting?
There is often a key in the top of the rudder shaft that the tiller head keys into. If the key is worn you will get play.
You may need a new piece of key stock.

Jul 17, 2012
Have you pulled off the tiller head to make sure that the "play" is not in that fitting?
There is often a key in the top of the rudder shaft that the tiller head keys into. If the key is worn you will get play.
Thanks for that tip. I think I will start there and my sense is, the play emanates from the top of the rudder shaft. I'm willing to bet that it is this key that might be worn. This is the first thing I should look into short of pullign the baot out of the water and pulling the rudder.

Feb 27, 2010
Yamaha 25MK II Vladivostok, Russia
My is playing also.

There was two sources of play. One in the lower rudder shaft and another in the fitting, where the rudder shaft goes thru the deck. Last spring I've disassembled rudder and replaced lower hinge because it was almost destroyed by time and corrosion. This part was made from short (about 3/4 inch) stainless tube, welded to plate and wall was too thin. I've machined new part from solid stainless bar with slightly bigger diameter in order to get tight contact with rudder and prevent any playing. Now left only upper playing but it actually does not bother me.

Jul 17, 2012
I looked at the tiller head and there is a key. It does look worn and moving the tiller around, I could see that any play emanated from that worn part. I will try to pull it out. I am assuming this can be done with the boat in the water without having to drop the whole rudder assembly. Am I right?

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for pointing this out, Caleb. I removed the tiller from the head and looked at the key and it does appear worn. This is where the play comes from. Can the key typically be removed and replaced without disassembling the rudder, i.e., with the boat in the water? I have looked up places to order the key made of bronze or stainless steel.

Aug 30, 2007
Yamaha 30 Vancouver, BC
Thanks for pointing this out, Caleb. I removed the tiller from the head and looked at the key and it does appear worn. This is where the play comes from. Can the key typically be removed and replaced without disassembling the rudder, i.e., with the boat in the water? I have looked up places to order the key made of bronze or stainless steel.
For what it is worth. I have a 30' Yam. It developed rudder play many years ago. A shipwright who used to work for C and C recommended filling the "tube" thru which the rudder post passes from tiller to mount with a heavy grease. He installed a grease nipple at the top. I've not had a problem since. I am not a mechanical genius but that's the gist of what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.