Cunningham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Anybody rigged a cunningham up on their main? For my traditional slab main, every now and then it would be useful to have one. I was thinking if I could find a small cleat that matched up with the holes for the screws that screw the boom into the gooseneck and got longer screws that would be a nice set up.

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
We use one often I rig mine to the attachment point for the boom vang and use a taut line hitch to adjust

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
does the cunningham normally cleat to the boom or the mast? are they normally just a line to a cleat, or are they a block purchase setup? I have the grommet in the sail for one but not sure how to rig it..... or when to use it.

Sep 29, 2008
Mast

does the cunningham normally cleat to the boom or the mast? are they normally just a line to a cleat, or are they a block purchase setup? I have the grommet in the sail for one but not sure how to rig it..... or when to use it.
I would think to the boom would be best as it would all move as one unit. I recently used one (sic) on a friends boat but it was really some line just wrapped around the boom and tied off. Looking for something that is set up there and ready to go all the time. The screws that attach the boom to the gooseneck line up nicely below the grommet.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My mast has a small cleat on it that I use for a cunningham. I tie a bowline around the gooseneck and run the line up and through the grommet and down to the cleat.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I tied the bitter end of a line through the center of one of the sheaves at the base of the mast organizer on the starboard side, up through the cringle, back down through a block on the port side, and aft through the inboard fairlead sheave under the traveler on the port side (my second reef is the primary line in this sheave, but not in use when the Cunningham is used). I secure the line to the port winch which works OK for me.

Sep 29, 2008
Finally Made One

I thought about it and talked to one of my dock mates who showed me his which was way more fancy than I wanted, but came up with something pretty simple. Used a simple nylon cleat, longer screws (1/4 20 -1.5"), and an old block and line I had sitting around. Worked great, I think I will keep it. For the reverse side I just passed the two ends of the line through and tied them in a knot. To make PaulJ happy I even have a picture. :D

Attachments

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
Ray!

I think that looks great and better still, it did not cost s fortune.

This really is something that ALL SAILORS might want to know about, BTW, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.