Crusing Design RF Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Carvalho

I have a 1990 Catalina 30' with Cruising Design Reefer II RF. It seems to me that this system is the Edsel of sailboats. In order to change head sails I'm told you need to run a metal "doo-dad" up the spare track, which, theorically, trips a cam and allows the sail to come down. I purchased the boat used and the "doo-dad" is missing. I have left repeated messages at Cruising Design, Inc. (978) 922-2322, but they don't return my calls. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this problem short of buying a new RF system?

G

Gene Foraker

Cruising Design RF

I had a 1984 model on my 30 and it wasn't quite like that. The sail ran up one side of the track and a small fitting for the halyard was in the other. You tied a small line through the fitting for the halyard and as the sail came down, the halyard went up. It really worked quite well up until I sold the boat last year. Maybe your system is different. If not, let me know if I can help further. CD is usually pretty good about service, maybe they are at some boat shows or on vacation following them. Gene

B

Bob

cruise design RF

I had a similar Cruise Design RF on my 27 catalina. If it works it gives you the benefit of having a free extra (jib)halyard because the "doodad" locks the sail head at the top of the forestay and the trailing line pulls down the jib halyard. IT WAS AN ENORMOUS PAIN IN THE BUTT!! Mine worked a few times (one of which the wire attached to the head of the sail got caught in the snatch mechanism and I had to have the yard send someone up the mast to free it... which they werent able to do for 24 hours ...while the sail was out and couldnt be furled) and after that I had to send someone up the mast every spring and fall to get it up or get it loose as the snatch mechanism failed to engage or release. Sooooo... if you are lucky enough to get the "doodad" I wish you good luck. I now have a 34 with a Hood set up that is more conventional and its like I just discovered the "wheel".

M

Mike Carvalho

Follow Up

Well...$2,000 later ($4,000 if you include the new sail) I am the proud owner of a Profurl furling system. The CDI thing was/is a piece of junk. The system "upgrade" available from CDI would be about $1,000 w/o any meaningful guarantee. Lesson learned. Thanks for the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.