Cruising without the mast

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
Just wondering if anyone has done any inland waters cruising in a Hunter 23 without the mast. I would like to try it for a weekend but not if it is going to be a horrible experience in terms of boat motion.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
We did about a 40 mile trip on KY lake one day that was all motoring no wind. We left sails down in the morning. In the afternoon when there were a lot of boats on the water with wakes we raised the main to help the motion. The motion wasn't bad without but a lot more steering without than with the main. Hope that helps.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our experience on our h27 (going to another port for specialized repairs) and our friends’ h30 (a week on the Trent Severn, crossing Lake Ontario, and a couple of days on the Erie Canal):

The long mast has a lot of angular momentum, and significantly reduces boat motion. Most noticeable was increased rolling. Any amount of waves will soon make the ride quite uncomfortable. A hour in 2-4 footers on our port quarter was about as much as I could take. Luckily, Lake Ontario’s was pretty flat the day we crossed.

You would be fine on a day with light winds, or in sheltered waters.

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
That is exactly the type of experience I was looking for and what I guessed the answer might be. I was thinking of motoring around Lake Francis Case (a very large lake on the Missouri in South Dakota) but there is likely to be wind and waves. So, I think I will keep the mast up...