Cruising/weekender with small kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T. Ring

Any experiences or suggestions of how to weekend with two small kids. ( ages 1 and 4). Are lifelines recommended? It may be helpful to know that we sail a Hunter 26, bulb keel. Thanks for the advice!

P

Padozary

What we do.

We have cruised with our boys (ages 9 and 4), since they were both 1yr. For safety, the boys both wore harnesses until they were 4, and still do if the wind picks up. Of course they also wear life jackets while in the cockpit. Buy hats, lots of sunscreen, and keep the kids hydrated. I'm not sure this was a part of your question or not, but..... To keep kids happy while cruising we have learned the following lessons. 1) It's all about the destination. The thrill of sailing may entertain you for hours, but kids become bored fast and they will soon start with "Are we there yet". Make the destination something exiting 2) Keep trips under 2 or 3 hours, or make a stop to go swimming. 3) Boat toys. For each child create a special bag of toys that they only play with on the boat. Occasionally put in a surprise. 4) Give the older kids some responsibility. This gets easier as the kids get older, but even simple things like being on the lookout for other vessels helps them to feel like part of the crew. 5) Play imagination games. We have sand spoils near our home harbor. We call them Pirate Island and make-up lots of pretend stories and games. We have even explored the island. 6) Buy a 12V TV with VHS. Before you say we got the boat to get away from the TV, think about it, a 15min video will keep them happy while you dock the boat. Good luck and safe sailing Paul

P

Paul

I plan to install netting and get a harness..

My daughter is now 15 months and climbs everywhere. Last summer was no problem as she was content to sit quietly in her baby seat but this year I'll have to get creative to keep her on the boat. I plan on installing netting around the lifelines and rigging up some sort of harness to give me peace of mind. Paul 1974 Catalina 27

R

Robert

Crab Pots

I take my nephew sailing with me all the time. He is 9 years old now, but has been sailing with me since he was six. His first responsibilities were to help me watch out for other vessels and crab pots. I was never in ANY danger of hitting a crab pot or other vessel because he dutifully pointed out every one with a two mile radius at any given time. This kept him busy and he felt like he was contributing. He has since taken on more meaningful responsibilities and loves it.

A

Andy Howard

Paul was right on target

We started sailing 6 years ago when our Kid's were 2 and 5. Everything that Paul mentioned were things we did to make our weekends fun and safe for the kids. We tried harness and jacklines but switched to netting and life preservers very quickly. The netting is great and it helps to keep not only the kids but their small toys and treasures on the boat. Even at this age they are a part of the crew and should be encouraged to help and do things. One of my favorite pictures is of my son with a brush helping daddy wash the boat when he was 2 years old.

R

Rich Campbell

Kids and Sailing

We started sailing on a large lake in North Idaho when our youngest was 1 1/2, our other kids were 4 and 6. We have a 29.5 and installed netting around the lifelines, but have never used harnesses. Our rules are that life jackets are mandatory when topside and they have to stay in the cockpit when we are sailing. When we are motoring, we allow them to go forward, again with life jackets on. When in the cabin, we let the kids take their life jackets off, but most of the time they leave them on so they don't have to keep putting them on and taking them off whenever they want to come topside. When the weather turns for the worse, we make them go below and keep life jackets on. I agree with Padozary -- great advice on sailing with kids. We keep safety as our highest priority and when sailing with the kids on board, keep her as flat as possible. However, we are also conscious of engendering a fun and positive environment so that they want to continue to be at and on the boat. When my wife and I want to have "serious sailing days" where we put the rail in the water, we arrange for the kids to be with relatives/friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.