Cruising the Maine Coast

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
While we won't be in our Capri, the wife and I are headed to the Maine Coast this week. We'll be live aboards for about 10 days and cruising the coast for 7 or so.

Is anyone up in that neck of the woods? We would love to meet some people. Any hints and tips would be appreciated as well. Yes, we know about Lobster pots, rocks, and the fog ;)

Patrick

Jul 3, 2013
Patrick -

What part of Maine?

Every year for the past few years, my wife and I, along with another couple, have rented a house on the shores of Muscongus Bay. Lots of nice anchorages in that area. And lots of nice marinas that are next to lobster pounds where you can purchase fresh cooked lobsters or fresh lobster to cook yourself.

Enjoy the trip!

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
NewportNewsMike said:
Patrick -

What part of Maine?

Every year for the past few years, my wife and I, along with another couple, have rented a house on the shores of Muscongus Bay. Lots of nice anchorages in that area. And lots of nice marinas that are next to lobster pounds where you can purchase fresh cooked lobsters or fresh lobster to cook yourself.

Enjoy the trip!
We will be right on Muscongus Bay coming out of Long Cove.

Jul 3, 2013
There a number of “Long Coves” in that area, but it seems the most likely one is the one near New Harbor - the other “Long Coves” I am familiar with either dry at low tide, or do not have enough water at high tide to support sailboats.

If it does, in fact, turn out to be the “Long Cove” near New Harbor, I have a few suggestions for places to buy or eat lobster. All have suitable anchorages right there.

In New Harbor itself (a very colorful / picturesque Maine fishing village whose picture could - and probably has - graced the cover of some magazine), there is Shaw’s Fish & Lobster Wharf. Shaw’s is a very popular eating and watering hole in that area. It was where part of Kevin Costner’s movie, Message in a Bottle, was filmed. There is indoor seating as well as a second-floor deck to watch the harbor action. The menu goes from lobster to burgers and many things in between.

Up the coast (North-ish) from New Harbor, is the harbor at Round Pond, another spot that looks very “Maine-like”. In the harbor at Round Pond is the Anchor Inn - an all-inside seating restaurant with a much-expanded menu over the various outdoor lobster pounds. Next door to the Anchor Inn, are the outdoor-seating-only Muscongus Bay Lobster Company and the outdoor-seating-only Round Pond Lobstermen's Co-op. In order of menu variety, it goes from the Co-Op (the simplest, lobsters and clams), then Muscongus Bay Lobster (adds on shrimp, crab cakes), and finally, the Anchor Inn (adds on sword fish and other fishes, steaks, pasta, et cetera). All three are right there together, all basically touching each other. Right up the road, about a five-minute walk, is the local ice cream spot. Every Maine lobster needs a little Maine ice cream to go along with it - or at least, that’s how our trips to Round Pond go.

Still along the same shoreline, but even a little further North is BCMS (Broad Cove Marine Services). Although their name says “Broad Cove”, they are not actually in Broad Cove, but south of the cove on the Hockomock Channel between the mainland (the village of Medomak) and Bremen Long Island. They are a full service marina that also has a lobster-cooking shed right on the dock. You can eat there (lobsters are the only thing on the menu) or purchase cooked or live lobsters to take with you.

There are many great anchorages in that part of the world waiting to be discovered. You may even see some of the Outward Bound sailing crowd doing their thing - we have run into them numerous times on Muscongus Bay.

Enjoy your trip!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Ah, I'm jealous! My Dad lives up near Bar Harbor and we used to sail up there.

The only thing you missed is the tidal range. Be sure you leave appropriate scope for the tides so you don't find yourself ashore on those rocks!

Mar 16, 2014
If you make it up around Eastport ill meet up with you on my Capri. Just a heads up though if you do come this way we have 24ft tides and in some places 11kts of current! Its manageable though with a little planning. Enjoy your trip and maybe we will see you.

Kyle

May 23, 2007
Eastport?! You *are* downeast! Dad got his boat building degree down that way at EMVTI after he retired from the Coast Guard.

Dad and I tried to sail there from Bass Harbor (MDI backside) back in '99 in his Bristol 24. We got as far as Jonesport then the weather turned on us. It was a fun trip though, and my first sail since we moved to Oregon in '77. He'd installed new Raymarine GPS and radar, and being dyslexic, was having a hard time deciphering their (truly terrible) manuals. First night out I figured out the GPS, though we were a bit concerned when we couldn't find a buoy that was supposed to be off Petit Manan the next morning. Turned out the CG had removed it; guess that's what Notice to Mariners is for.

Second night I figured out the radar. That turned out to be a good thing, because we used it to find our way from Jonesport to Bunker's Harbor on the way back to MDI. Pea soup fog and rain the whole way until after we anchored. After dinner I looked out and there was unlimited visibility again. Petit Manan light was smugly blinking away in the distance. Next day was chilly but a beautiful sail all the way from Bunker's Harbor back to Bass Harbor. I loved it.

That trip was what gave me the sailing bug again that eventually led to us buying Verboten.

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Back!!!

7 days living on a Cape Dory 25D. I'll post pics in another thread later this week but it was fantastic. So happy we didn't have the Capri as we would have been wet and miserable. Instead we enjoyed the seas in realtive comfort from a bit higher up!!

We poked around Muscongus Bay and a little into Penobscot Bay. About 100 miles sailed in 5 days and zero fog.

May 23, 2007
My former slip neighbor has a a beautiful CD25. Contemporary with Dad's old Bristol 25 complete with way too much to varnish. :D

Looking forward to the photos/report.