Cruising Posts to Resume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
The madness of attempting to re-invent myself has passed. Just consider it a midlife cri…, well, make that 7/8 life, crisis. There is a lot of opportunity in DC, just as my friends suggested but there is also a lot of competition from bright young people willing to work for free to get a foot on the ladder. I’m sure I would find something if I were willing to spend a few months looking. However, once the thrill of being back in an urban environment wore off, I realized that I am just not a city guy, even with it tempered by living on a boat.

If I am going to make the money to undertake more ambitious cruises, it’s more likely to come from building on my past than attempting something new. There are some promising things in the wind but they will probably be drawing me back towards New England in May.

So, I am sitting here at my undisclosed location ready to move back down the river as soon as the weather permits. It wouldn’t be a lot more rugged to do that immediately than what I encountered on the trip up but I was driven then by the desire to get to DC in time to spend time with my son while he was doing his January internship on Capitol Hill. Now that I have the tee shirt for winter cruising, including freezing rain, boredom and restlessness don’t seem sufficient reason to put myself through more of it. I’m hoping that is a warming trend I see at the edge of the long range forecasts and I’ll be posting again sometime next week.

I’ve got the SPOT working again although I’m not sure how long pushing the button with a chopstick is going to last. I’ll get a new tracking page set up before I leave and update the link in my signature file and on my web site.

I’m thinking about ducking down into North Carolina again via a Dismal Swamp and Coinjock route circumnavigation with a side trip up Albemarle Sound past Elizabeth City. That plan will depend a lot on how March shapes up weather wise. By April, I hope to be reporting on some of the places I haven’t seen in Chesapeake Bay yet.

Stay tuned, Strider will soon be on the move again.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
Just a suggestion but you could zip up to Edenton easily from Elizabeth city. I would recommend however that you take a short side trip down to Manteo and then down to Ocracoke. Ocracoke is a pretty cool island with a great little harbor to set the hook. This time of year would be deserted. Another side trip you would enjoy would be the south river....total wilderness with good holding and lots of room for exploring. Little Washington and New Bern are also great spots. There are numerous creeks along the Oriental coastline that you can also take a dinghy ride up quite a ways and enjoy the wildlife in a wilderness setting. Pierce Creek is very nice for one I have had the pleasure of exploring. Best wishes for a peaceful voyage.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
"it’s more likely to come from building on my past than attempting something new."

Roger, I really like this statement, it is something I think many of us realize when we hit a certain age..... (Whatever age that may be ) I love the fact that we go about our lives ebbing and flowing in the direction that we best are suited (if we pay attention!) and then we realize that we are very valuable in the niche we have made. I'm sure whatever you do will be a combination of your familiar expertise and the exhilaration of a new project.

Happy to know we'll be following your happy trails once again.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
jibes 138

Roger,
Just a suggestion but you could zip up to Edenton easily from Elizabeth city. I would recommend however that you take a short side trip down to Manteo and then down to Ocracoke. Ocracoke is a pretty cool island with a great little harbor to set the hook. This time of year would be deserted. Another side trip you would enjoy would be the south river....total wilderness with good holding and lots of room for exploring. Little Washington and New Bern are also great spots. There are numerous creeks along the Oriental coastline that you can also take a dinghy ride up quite a ways and enjoy the wildlife in a wilderness setting. Pierce Creek is very nice for one I have had the pleasure of exploring. Best wishes for a peaceful voyage.
- - - - // - - - -

Jibes 138,

I am disappointed that you did not mention
the maritime museum in Beaufort? Roger
has sailed past too many times.

He may want to trade in his frozen snot
boat for a wooden boat?

http://ncmaritimemuseums.com/beaufort.html

Ed K

Attachments

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I'd 2nd the suggestion of Ocracoke for a sailor from Maine. Sort of like Carver Harbor on Vinalhaven but with no tide and room to anchor because there are no lobster boats. Good local music/arts scene ashore. The only grocery store is also the only hardware store. Friendly people - especially if you show up off-season.

Great anchorage but also a small US Park Service run marina that is $.60/ft if you have a Park Service "senior" pass. You presumably qualify. Might be free at this season.

Site of naval battle that killed Blackbeard. Some of today's residents are supposedly descendants from his crew who swam ashore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard

It's actually fewer miles to go via Manteo and Ocracoke than down the Alligator River and you can sail most of the way.

Carl

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
How's that old cowboy song go... "Back in the Saddle Again"?
Glad we didn't lose you to the gold rush & rat race that is our Nation's Capital.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Glad we didn't lose you to the gold rush & rat race that is our Nation's Capital.
Me too, now that I've seen it with my own eyes.

BTW you asked about cabin heat. I finally stayed put long enough to get a handle on the Newport fuel consumption. It kept me quite comfortable this week burning, as close as I can determine from tank sounding, 1.7 gallons per day.

I ran it at its usual setting this week. I've run it at a higher setting when very cold but it smokes up the glass and doesn't burn as well with that high a flame.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
That's good info, thanks. Eventually I'll need to heat this new old boat. Its set up for cooking w propane. I'm pondering system options.

Here's a fuel comparison calculator:
http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php

It looks like you're averaging 6800 btu/hr assuming 70% efficiency of the burner.
And if prices of diesel and propane stay proportional, the cost per btu looks pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.