Cruising-guides exchange

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I have thought about this for a while and would like to know if it's already a thing. As we all know, those cruising guides and chartbooks can get expensive! I prefer the Dozier's Waterway Guides and the Maptech chartkits - the Dozier's run about $40/each and the Maptech kits about $120/each. For a trip from New Jersey to The Bahamas that's 4 books and 4 kits. Owww.

Here's the thing - for Diana this is at least, in part, a one-way trip (boat is most likely not coming back north, at least not all the way - and if she does it may not be in the same year; so the guides might be a year or more out of date). In short: for example, I won't have any use for a 2021 Delaware-Chesapeake guide after about August 20th.

Is there any such thing as an exchange program, however informal, by which we share cruising guides and chartbooks? I'll buy new ones for Delaware-Chesapeake and the ICW; but when I get closer to Florida (late October) I can make these available to anyone going north; and someone can provide me with ones for Florida and The Bahamas. In this way we can share resources and encourage each other.

Does anyone thing there'd be interest in anything like this?

1622389011914.png

Re: Ship Store | Waterway Guide | Atlantic ICW 2021

BTW - I've had the same idea about sharing kids' school textbooks with cruising liveaboards - this would foster community & goodwill as well as cut WAY down on the weight, volume and expense of physical textbooks which (speaking as a teacher) are vastly better as education tools and vastly more reliable than having to count on adequate Wifi at sea to read online resources. I may be getting rid of a lot of old classroom books very soon and, if anyone's interested, NOW would be the time to let me know!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
speaking as a teacher
I am sure as a a member of academia you understand the focus of writing. While there is a desire to share one's knowledge and experiences through book writing/printing there is a hope in the authors mind that someone is willing to pay the author for the value of his/her knowledge.

While libraries are a gateway to perhaps more book buying, a sharing of your book with others works counter to the goal of the author and publisher.

Is sharing a thing? Absolutely. "A Library"
Is secondary selling a thing? Absolutely "Secondhand Book stores".

There is a way for your to try either or both. We have the "SBO Classifieds" where you can list your extra stuff to sell.

We also have the "Digital Dumpster Dive" digital-dumpster-dive-free-gear.129 where you can offer up items for free to anyone so interested.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
John, I've got a 2006 copy of Dozier's "Waterway Guide" for Florida and the Bahamas. Yeah, it's old but it's available for your trip if it helps.
I've also got a copy of Streets " Guide to the Eastern Caribbean", but I don't know if you are going that far South.
Let me know.
G.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I have thought about this for a while and would like to know if it's already a thing. As we all know, those cruising guides and chartbooks can get expensive! I prefer the Dozier's Waterway Guides and the Maptech chartkits - the Dozier's run about $40/each and the Maptech kits about $120/each. For a trip from New Jersey to The Bahamas that's 4 books and 4 kits. Owww.

Here's the thing - for Diana this is at least, in part, a one-way trip (boat is most likely not coming back north, at least not all the way - and if she does it may not be in the same year; so the guides might be a year or more out of date). In short: for example, I won't have any use for a 2021 Delaware-Chesapeake guide after about August 20th.

Is there any such thing as an exchange program, however informal, by which we share cruising guides and chartbooks? I'll buy new ones for Delaware-Chesapeake and the ICW; but when I get closer to Florida (late October) I can make these available to anyone going north; and someone can provide me with ones for Florida and The Bahamas. In this way we can share resources and encourage each other.

Does anyone thing there'd be interest in anything like this?

View attachment 194701

Re: Ship Store | Waterway Guide | Atlantic ICW 2021

BTW - I've had the same idea about sharing kids' school textbooks with cruising liveaboards - this would foster community & goodwill as well as cut WAY down on the weight, volume and expense of physical textbooks which (speaking as a teacher) are vastly better as education tools and vastly more reliable than having to count on adequate Wifi at sea to read online resources. I may be getting rid of a lot of old classroom books very soon and, if anyone's interested, NOW would be the time to let me know!

I am sure as a a member of academia you understand the focus of writing. While there is a desire to share one's knowledge and experiences through book writing/printing there is a hope in the authors mind that someone is willing to pay the author for the value of his/her knowledge.

While libraries are a gateway to perhaps more book buying, a sharing of your book with others works counter to the goal of the author and publisher.

Is sharing a thing? Absolutely. "A Library"
Is secondary selling a thing? Absolutely "Secondhand Book stores".

There is a way for your to try either or both. We have the "SBO Classifieds" where you can list your extra stuff to sell.

We also have the "Digital Dumpster Dive" digital-dumpster-dive-free-gear.129 where you can offer up items for free to anyone so interested.
John, I've got a 2006 copy of Dozier's "Waterway Guide". Yeah, it's old but it's available for your trip if it helps.
I've also got a copy of Streets " Guide to the Eastern Caribbean", but I don't know if you are going that far South.
Let me know.
G.

I know you know this, but the data for charts printed is usually ten years old. I’ve been using electronic chart datum that gets updated as soon as the ACoE publishes it. Some of it is only a few weeks old. Big difference when I can see inlets that have just been dredged or bars creeping in near the channels. Once downloaded I don’t need Wifi while traveling. I frequent a blog site where boaters share this information daily while my paper charts stay dry in the cabin. I still feel better knowing that I have them, but I don’t need them to travel.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
my paper charts stay dry in the cabin. I still feel better knowing that I have them, but I don’t need them to travel.
I understand this line of thinking.

When I’m traveling known routes I only use paper charts to share the basic rout and to give crew an overview of our trip and areas of concern. Sitting at the table with a chart laid out in front of everyone all can participate. It helps all to have situational awareness as we cruise.

A large chart helps with orientation. As far as in route tracking and questions / answers ,the laptop with most recent charts, the route, AIS targets, passages and tidal currents is the go to tool. The computer helps with accurate location, ETA at a specific point, CPA of AIS targets etc.

If the trip is to unknown waters I’ll have the paper chart spread and make progress notation as we travel. Nothing like a back up should the power go out.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Try looking at Bob423’s blog on cruising the ICW. Many boaters traveling the ICW delivering instantaneous information of changes. If you could imagine a thousand people standing around your paper charts, each with notes and the ability to show each other the pathway they took.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
a 2006 copy of Dozier's "Waterway Guide" for Florida and the Bahamas.
I’ve got a 2009 guide; but I don’t trust anything older after Superstorm Sandy. We had all the buoys pulled along the NJ Shore because the channels and inlets changed so much. I said it was like we’d all be Henry Hudson out there, blazing new trails. One guy went out into what he thought was the channels and sheared BOTH LOWER UNITS OFF hitting someone’s refrigerator or whatever. So, with respect, any ICW chart before 2013 is probably irrelevant now. And Covid has changed most marina and docking information too.

‘Prudent pessimism is the mark of a responsible yacht skipper.’ -JC

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Nothing like a back up should the power go out.
Oh; I am a firm believer in the value of NOAA-spec charts alongside, or instead of, electronic media. I’ve stood in boating stores listening to guys ask the value of charts, or even the compass, if they have GPS. ‘Well; I’m not going boating with you!’ I tease them. It seems nothing’s relevant to some people unless it appears on a video screen... or their phone. Truth is: these are people who end up as BOATUS statistics or on YouTube ‘Fail’ videos.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Try looking at Bob423’s blog on cruising the ICW. Many boaters traveling the ICW delivering instantaneous information of changes. If you could imagine a thousand people standing around your paper charts, each with notes and the ability to show each other the pathway they took.
This sort of collaboration can be very valuable. I firmly believe in seeking local knowledge about any new place (surfer, and Barnegat Bay sailor, here). I don’t see travelling the ICW without consistent VHF and in-person
contact with many others along the same route at the same time. There are plenty of reasons - navigation, safety, security and society, to name a few. Having a small boat but with 4 ft draft I’ll be following the 30-footers - and cautioning anyone who seems to be following me!

We’re all in it together (literally).