cruising from miami area to key west

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
hey guys, finally made the trip fro nj I'm currently in fernandia beach fla, going to continue to Lauderdale area next 10 days. From there I plan to leave the boat for 2 weeks and fly home for xmas.When back I am going to the keys, and am looking to buy a chartkit or spiral bound book, any suggestions? to get her I use john and leslie kettlewells charbook Norfolk to Miami 6th edition, and found it to be awesome. any suggestions. Red

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Are you looking for charts or a guidebook? Different tools. I use the maptech chartkit for Fl East coast and it works fine as a supplement to my chartplotter.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That whole area should have chandleries, West Marine, etc. to purchase good charts and chart kits.
I'm sure cruising guides are everywhere too. I don't know much about Miami except it's a BIG city with lots of resources available. The Keys are awesome sailing. Be sure to snorkel or dive on the reefs. John Pennicamp reef, as well as a few others by Key West, come right up to the surface. So, be wary.
The submerged statue at Pennicamp is really cool and in fairly shallow water.
My family loved diving on the lighthouse at Alligator Reef off Islamorada. Hundreds of baracuda just chillin'. There was a hammerhead also, when we were there.
Great trip. :thumbup:
- Will (Dragonfly)

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I would suggest you also check NOAA for latest updates to mariners, and activeCaptain.
I'm sure some markers are still missing and debris in the water from hurricane Irma.

middle keys were hit the hardest. key West marinas should be ok

in FLL, Bluewater books off 17th street is my go to place for current charts and books. They have a large format printer.
http://www.bluewaterweb.com/