cruising base FL east coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve aka clueless

I currently keep my H 23 on an inland lake in Central FL. I am interested in moving it to the East Coast somewhere betweeen New Symrna and Cocoa. Anyone have any advice or suggestions on Marinas etc. I would appreciate the input

K

Kris Cox

Requirements?

I also have a H23 and I live in Port St. John (between Cocoa and Titusville). What services are you looking for in a marina, and how much do you want to spend? The Titusville municipal marina is a bit spendy (I think about $180/month for my boat), plus they are now full (winter rush). Kennedy Point Yacht Club is convenient (intersection of Hwy 50 and US1), but even more spendy (I think it was about $225/month, although you get to use their pool, raquetball, etc.). I'm thrifty, so I looked for cheaper places to keep my boat (which I have now owned for about 3 weeks). I did not look north of Titusville. There's a place called "Jay's Harbor Lights Marina" on Meritt Island (on South Tropical Trail, a few miles south of 520). They wanted $80-90/month, but did not have a slip that was deep enough for my wing keel (although it would have taken a swing keel). Jay's doesn't have much for facilities and is somewhat run-down. There's "Island Point" Marina on Merritt Island, just north of 520. The wanted about $100/month, but their slips are exposed, and when I was there with the dockmaster, a guy walked right up to report that his bike had been stolen from in front of his boat. The place I finally settled on is called "Inland Marina." I'm guessing it's a bit south for you (as are the other Merritt Island marinas), but I am pleased as punch with what they offer. I pay $109/month. They are a secured and full service marina, and they are VERY pleasant and helpful. Of course, they are on the Banana River, not the Indian River. The Indian River (the Intracoastal) is a 10 mile sail to the south or a shorter sail to the north and then a cut through the barge canal. I'm new to sailing, and they find very gracious ways to offer me tips without making me feel like the idiot that I am. They're located on S. Banana River Drive, and their number is 407-452-3740. Robin and Wendi Squires are the owners. Other than these mentioned marinas, all the marinas I could find in the area between Titusville and Cocoa/Merritt Island wanted $150-$200/month for my H23. Feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions. Kris Cox cox@teknabooks.com

Status
Not open for further replies.