Cruisers say good by to swimming in Florida Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
:laugh:

I would worry more about being eaten by mosquitos than pythons!

Cheers,
Brad

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hey shoaldrafter is good to know that since you only refer to snowbirds and cruisers that you may think the general local population is immune or that theses critters can easily tell the difference among us. To put the threat in perspective I think the chances of getting snow fluries in South Florida are greater than getting attacked by a Python although either can happen.

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
Can pythons even survive in salt water ? Shark bait ! In the keys I would be more worried about the tiny box jellyfish's often fatal sting. Fatal sting incidents have occurred as far North as Galveston, Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Who's knocking at your door.

Taken by a homwowner's neighbor in Florida:D

Attachments

Nov 29, 2011
none none 39.23N 88.51W
Much more to consider

There are a lot more things to worry about, that I would place above pythons on the to fear list. Personally I would gladly accept the python threat if they could get rid of the mosquitoes and those damn biting green head flies.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Who's knocking at your door.

Taken by a homwowner's neighbor in Florida:D

Ha....... we get Bears bigger than that in Georgian Bay, and misquitos almost as big in the North Channel ;)

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
I would worry more about park officers when swimming in the Keys. We were told to get out of the water when snorkeling in a designated swim area in a stat park because we were not displacing a diving flag.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I would worry more about park officers when swimming in the Keys. We were told to get out of the water when snorkeling in a designated swim area in a stat park because we were not displacing a diving flag.

depends how far from the beach. in side the ropes, he was wrong, outside he was doing you a favor.

every year people get run over by boats swimming and diving. heck I've almost run some divers off ft lauderdale, never saw their flag in a 2-4' chop, and I'm a diver and look for them.

personally, I take a raft, or kayak and the flag. hard to miss the kayak.

and the pythons are a problem in the 10k and everglades. but nobody wants to swim there... it is alligator country, and the water has too much tannin to see the bottom.

anyplace you would want to swim will be just fine.
(just what we need, another snowbird worried about something they know nothing about)

besides, the gators are trained... this little one learned to fetch!

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Bahia Honda?

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
You know, I LIKE living in Maine. We have 3500 miles of the best cruising ground in the known universe, and no poisonous snakes, spiders, jelly fish or sharks to worry about. No alligators to watch for when you go to wash your face. Yeah, yeah "All spider are poisonous", and yes we DO have sharks. I caught 22 one day. But, we don't have to worry about them. I once cornered a 5' water snake in a cove and picked it up to show the kids. No worries.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Funny! The WORST I've seen is 40 below. But when it's that cold, it doesn't snow.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
A lot of 50`s here lately. I unwrapped the boat Sunday to work inside for a while.Bought a new piece of trim for gas locker from Precision to replace one gone from boat when I got it. What i thought was gonna be teak turned out to be white plastic (for a cream colored boat!). Screw holes don`t line up , so when it warms up again I`ll be epoxy (ing?) the old ones up to drill new.

Status
Not open for further replies.