Cruise intercoastal

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Hey all,if all goes well hope to be heading south this coming fall from the raritan area in NJ. Can anyone suggest good cruising guides-charts for the intercoastal that has local info..anchorages,moorings , fuel ......goal is somewhere warm to hang out for cold weather..Florida?? Thanks Red

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Waterway Guide is what we used for ditch trip planning:
https://www.waterwayguide.com/shipstore/index.php?cPath=21

Here's the thing about Florida and the Bahamas - you are still subject to the winter northerly fronts that sweep down from Alberta and brings cold and more importantly very strong wind conditions. Then there is the jihad being waged against transient boaters by whiny Florida waterfront property owners and their buddies in municipal government. I have given up on the place and clear out in Virginia or Morehead City and clear in with the boater friendly folks of the BVI.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey Red

There are a lot of good chartbooks and guides... but for local knowledge and a list of recent reviews on a place, I like to supplement my charts and notebook with info from Activecaptain.com. If you are unfamiliar with it just check it out and look over their interactive map.

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
The Skipper Bob guide to ICW anchorages is the least expensive and is quite adequate. The most recent information will be on Active Captain. When you get to Florida, consider crossing over to the Bahamas.

rickff

Feb 11, 2017
by all means, enjoy your trip. I think everyone should do it at least once.
Yes, there are those who complain about the anchored boats. Not just in
Florida, but the whole coast. even in NJ I bet. Yes, some parts are long
and boring, but some are great. Meet Robert at the beginning of the Dismal Swamp.
Elizabeth City free dock. Various towns along the Pamlico. Georgia actually has
a law against living aboard 30 days, but I wouldn't worry about that. and then
St Mary's GA has its famous thanksgiving for cruisers. So there are lots of things
to see and learn about. the info posted is all good and has most of the info needed.
Also want good tide/current guides. If you can find used Claiborne Young books
they has a lot of touring info in them. the nav info may be getting out of date

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
There is much misinformation about Florida and the use of her waters. My suggestion is that you make use of Boat US and the info they provide such as http://www.boatus.com/gov/assets/pdf/fwc-2016-anchoring-and-mooring-report.pdf.

I anchored in every state starting at MM 0.0 in Portsmouth VA all the way down into the Florida Keys in the winter of 2014 - 2015. I dropped the hook across from the City Docks in Fernandina Beach FL, used a free City Dock at Jacksonville at the intersection of the ICW and St John's River just before Sisters Creek Boat Ramp, in St Augustine, in Daytona Beach, in Port Canaveral, in the Indian River, in North Palm Beach and in Biscayne Bay. I had absolutely ZERO problem doing so. Since then, I have anchored all over Charlotte Harbor, in St James City, Ft Meyers Beach, in Marco Island, in Key West, in The Marquesas, Dry Tortugas, Englewood, Venice, Sarasota, St Petersburg and have had NO problem at all. I'm not certain where all the misinformation comes from, but there is an ample supply of it. Educate yourself, follow the regulations and come enjoy Florida.

Map tech Embassy Guide Chesapeake Bay to Florida - 6th Ed.

Map tech Embassy Guide Florida & the Bahamas - 6th Ed.

These were invaluable guides, they provided anchorages, ships supplies stores, restocking locations for various supermarkets and distances from landfall locations, dinghy dock locations, marinas, historical locations, bars, restaurants, etc. $40.00. They are interfaced with Maptech Charts also.

Last edited:

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
FYI, the Dismal Swamp was badly damaged by hurricane Matthew last fall and is nowhere near opening again.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
FYI, the Dismal Swamp was badly damaged by hurricane Matthew last fall and is nowhere near opening again.
Hey @Mulf
Is that true for both branches? I was hoping to pass that way this summer.

Dec 16, 2008
Pearson 422 FL & CT
I use a couple of guides. Skipper Bob's is very handy to keep in the cockpit, especially in congested areas. Give a mile by mile summary of bridges with the proper radio call name (not found on the charts) and the latest schedules, shutdowns, etc.

I like the Waterway Guide for details on marinas, inlets and navigation.

Definitely recommend checking one of the several website: Active Captain, Waterway Guide or Cruisersnet.net to get updates on shoaling and trouble spots. My last trip I ran hard aground center channel with 5'4" draft. If I had checked the online updates I would have known to very closely hug the red side of the channel.

Feb 14, 2017
Mainecat 38 Anacortes
Just made the trip in two parts this winter. The Waterway Guide was invaluable. Active Captain was a way to get very current and recent info, especially since the Guide was published pre-Matthew. I was worried a bit about FL as well but have had no issues anchoring in Biscayne Bay or Lake Worth. Admittedly, mine is a shiny new boat and I suspect less likely to be hassled...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The Waterway Guide is what we used for ditch trip planning:
https://www.waterwayguide.com/shipstore/index.php?cPath=21

Here's the thing about Florida and the Bahamas - you are still subject to the winter northerly fronts that sweep down from Alberta and brings cold and more importantly very strong wind conditions. Then there is the jihad being waged against transient boaters by whiny Florida waterfront property owners and their buddies in municipal government. I have given up on the place and clear out in Virginia or Morehead City and clear in with the boater friendly folks of the BVI.
The OP does not give much in the way of specifics. The issue with the Florida waterfront property owners is directed at free anchoring along the ICW (b.t.w., for the OP, that's Intracoastal waterway). That wouldn't be problem if taking a slip to wait out cold weather; most non-transient slip rentals are month to month, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Hey all,if all goes well hope to be heading south this coming fall from the raritan area in NJ. Can anyone suggest good cruising guides-charts for the intercoastal that has local info..anchorages,moorings , fuel ......goal is somewhere warm to hang out for cold weather..Florida?? Thanks Red
Sounds exactly like my idea -- heading south at the end of the NE sailing season. Leaving from Great Kills Harbor in S.I. Want traveling company? Want to share tips, thoughts, ideas, plans? Look me up!

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Hey captain Pete I am at the keyport Yacht club, from June on. Right now I am still up the river in peekskill ny,at the Viking boatyard getting the boat ready for the season. Are you in the great kills club? Red

Dec 30, 2009
Hey guys thanks for all excellent ideas, I have skipper Bob, Active captain I will definitely check out as well as the waterway guide.Captain Pete, Iam in Keyport yacht club, are you in Great Kills, would like to swap some thoughts.I am currently up river in peekskill ny Viking marina my normal winter ground, doing work to the boat. Are u in the water yet? I hope to be coming downriver to my mooring in KYC end of the month. Red

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Hey captain Pete I am at the keyport Yacht club, from June on. Right now I am still up the river in peekskill ny,at the Viking boatyard getting the boat ready for the season. Are you in the great kills club? Red
Hey Red
My boat is still on the hard at Morgan Marina in Sayreville, NJ, but hopefully by month's end she'll be in the water at Nichols Great Kills Marina (opposite side of the harbor from the yacht clubs). I'll keep an eye out for you on the water once we're both in-season.
Pete
s/v EmmieLou (Oday 322)
Staten Island, NY