Crewing on a big boat

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Today I crewed on a Catalina 30 Tall Mast. Let me tell you tacking a big boat in 15kt winds is WORK~ . Winching in a 150 is WORK.
Working the traveler / mainsheet is WORK. Pulling on the traveler line it broke. We were on our last leg. Jury rigged a 2/1 system
to complete the race.

Fun - yes. but it will be a while before I do that again.

Capri 22 are far more fun :)

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Bigger boats should not be harder... if they are, they are under-rigged.

Larger winches, larger diameter lines, more purchase, should all contribute to having to exert the same amount of force as on your 22.

By the way I am guilty of undersizing my lines, and purchases too (I spend too much time in light air).

Jul 3, 2013
Hershey said:
Today I crewed on a Catalina 30 Tall Mast. Let me tell you tacking a big boat in 15kt winds is WORK~ . Winching in a 150 is WORK.
Working the traveler / mainsheet is WORK. Pulling on the traveler line it broke. We were on our last leg. Jury rigged a 2/1 system
to complete the race.

Fun - yes. but it will be a while before I do that again.

Capri 22 are far more fun :)

Hershey
Early in our sailing career, my wife and I owned a Tanzer 22 for about 20 years - a great little boat. Not as quick as a Capri 22, but a little less tender, and lots more usable cabin space. And there was no "dancing around the pole" to get to the V-berth or heads.

Then it became time to put some money into the Tanzer for needed upgrades / repairs or sell the Tanzer and get a different boat. After the dust cleared, the decision was to look for "a little larger" boat - some thing with a little more cabin space. The answer to that search led to a much larger boat - a C&C 30. A very nice, quick older boat with diesel engine, wheel steering, and a full-size stand up head. We sailed the C&C about a decade. It was another great boat. But, as the wind piped up, it was work for just the wife and I to sail her - fun, but work. And every thing is bigger - lots more sail area to raise and tack. And to store. A 135- Genoa in a bag (for off-season storage) is HEAVY to lug around. And there is more bottom to scrape and paint in the spring. And cutlass bearings and stuffing boxes and diesel oil / fuel filters to change, steering systems to keep in shape, holding tanks to keep clean and fresh, and a LOT of hull penetrations to make sure all the hoses and valves were in good shape. Plus a lot of other little things that I have (very happily) forgotten about. And our C&C was powered by a Yanmar QM15 - a very nice dependable little diesel that Yanmar only made for about 2 or 3 years in the late seventies. Some QM15 parts were getting hard to find - like the exhaust headers, which rust out ever so often in a raw-water cooling system sailed in salt water. And when it became time to put another chunk of money into the C&C, we started that same thought process as before - invest in this boat or find another boat to put money into. Maybe a little smaller, easier to maintain boat this time around - outboard engine, tiller steering, not so much in the way of plumbing systems to maintain.

During this "thinking period", we were on vacation in Duck NC (on the Outer Banks, near Nags Head) where we ended up renting a Flying Scot one afternoon. For those that are not familiar with Flying Scots, there are 19-foot, open cockpit, centerboard, sloops that hold 5 or 6 folks, and are a blast to sail. The question was answered - we needed a smaller, quick, fun-to-sail boat like a Flying Scot. But it needed to have a place for a Porta Potti, something the Flying Scot does not have. And it needed to not have that huge centerboard trunk (that a Scot has) that required climbing over it at every tack.

To make a very long story come to an end - that is how we ended up with our current boat - a Capri 22, named Simple Pleasures, because that's what it is - certainly a pleasure to sail and simple in handling and upkeep.