Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It’s looks like there won’t be any.

My brothers are too busy with their cottages and a new grandchild.
I’m at the age where friends are either still employed or desperately looking.
Barbara has to tend her gardens and pets.
My sons have to work for college money.
Someone would have to be crazy to get in a 32 foot sailboat without refrigeration with a restless traveler like me for weeks, anyway.

I’ve had an ad running on the “Points East” crew match site all winter:

http://www.pointseast.com/need_crew.php

It’s turned up three people who seemed eager to go when there was snow on the ground but, as summer approaches, one has to buy a house, one has a busy racing schedule, another has better offers…. It doesn’t help that I can’t make a firm departure commitment yet.

Fortunately, I enjoy being on the boat alone and, much of the time, singlehanding is easier than explaining what needs to be done. After a long winter and all sorts of things going on with family and friends, I’m starting to have rather pleasant thoughts about finally sitting back in the cabin and just hearing the faint “tink” of the cabin heater flue expanding and the ticking of the clock. The cry of a distant loon seems like the pleasantest possible conversational comment after months of discussing the world’s woes.

Still, I enjoy having people on the boat to share the experience as long as they know the value of contemplation and don’t feel that any moment unfilled by the sound of human voice is wasted. Sailing through the wonders downeast with only myself to appreciate them seems somehow decadent and selfish. Those long legs across the Bay of Fundy and around the corner to the southern Nova Scotia coast would be a lot easier with another watch stander. Dining ashore is a big part of cruising for a coastal sailor like myself and an especially nice time to have a companion.

Anyway, I find myself almost completely balanced in desire between crew and singlehanding. The primary mental feature of this whole enterprise is becoming a Zen like letting go of any specific schedule or image of how it has to turn out. After decades of goals and schedules, I’m already in that zone and the boat isn’t even in the water.

So, if someone turns up, they’ll get to see the whole coast of Maine as few have ever had a chance to see it. And then, all of Passamaquoddy Bay, Grand Manan Island, and Nova Scotia lie ahead. If I leave alone, there are still plenty of people to visit and meet along the way. I’ll be perfectly content in my little planet with its long shelf of books and the anticipation of another day of sailing and exploring always ahead of me.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
roger--looks awesome by foto--- once you start, you will get waaay too many offers for being crew---- fair winds and have a great sail!!!!!!

just keep posting pix...

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Roger: We have a lot in common re sailing with or without crew. While I love having crew, I also like sailing alone and the balance is about 50-50. And it is a Zen-like experience - and for that reason my boat is named "CrewZen."

FYI, great pics of your boat and cruising grounds.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
CrewZen

And it is a Zen-like experience - and for that reason my boat is named "CrewZen."

What a great name :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Before we met, my wife used to tour Europe by herself often. After we did it together, she said: "I had a lot more fun without you! I met way more local folks." :)

I singlehand a lot after years with family and crew, for many the same reasons you mentioned. I enjoy the solitude. Once the hook is down, I do some boat chores (always somethin', isn't it?), then either read, listen to a ball game or music on the stereo, make dinner, cleanup, then read or watch a movie on the laptop. Very relaxing.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Depends on many factors I think. It is one thing to single-hand around the bay or lake. Completely different matter striking out into unknown territory. Thinking about the adventure from Lake Erie to Tampa and wondering if I could have done it alone. The Erie Canal would have been most difficult. Some of the tie ups for fuel would have been hard. And those long nights offshore would have been no fun.

I did do the upper Chesapeake alone and I have no problem with single-handling the hook. But I was glad for the help in the ICW and offshore. But it was with good friends which I think makes a huge difference.

Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 42 Mk II Fremantle, West Australia
Hi Roger. Would have loved to be considered as company on Strider, but after 10 years of planning and organising, we have just put an offer on a boat and settle on 1 July. With good fortune and a decent amount of organising, we would like to come up your way to see you sometime in the next year. We'll be in the States until about next August.
Hoges in WA, 16,000kms from home and currently on the Chesapeake.

Feb 3, 2009
Camper Nicholson 39 CC Rockland, Maine
Roger,

I have the same problem as you. Single handling is good most of the time. Only in some of the small government harbors in Nova scotia where I needed to raft up with a fishing boat and I was alone trying to manage the boat and also get aboard a strange boat and make fast was it challenging. I sailed back from NS singlehanded. I went up into the Bay far enough so that I could make it across in one day. Metagan NS to Mistake Harbor (Great Wass) was only 10 or 12 hours.

I shall be out alone this summer also. Maybe we can meet up for a drink and dinner.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I think I've identified the essential crew conundrum. Anyone crazy enough to want to go cruising in a boat like mine for long periods in northern waters may not be someone I want to share the confines of a small cabin with. :)

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
roger--that is wonderful and made me laugh-- is sooo true... not just in your case---in mine also and many others of us who go to sea...LOL
i got rid of potentially bad crew by telling them i was gonna sail 100 mi offshore--lol they could not run fast enough to the car rental agency---rofl..... keep up the good work!

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Oh Roger,

you are speaking my language...moments unfilled by the sound of human voices, mmmm. Perfect.
Had I ordered my life differently you just might find me presenting myself for crew appointment but it is not to be this summer. Funny thing, I just received a call yesterday from my old boss who wants me to come back to manage a huge new cotract. Professionally it is an awesome opportunity and I would dearly love to sink my teeth into it because it will be challenging and fun and a chance to shine. But I find myself thinking this is going to take a serious bite out of my free time and simply make stronger the ties I have to a non sailing world. Leaves a gal in a bit of a muddle you know?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
You have to:
Trust in the Lord
Follow your heart
Accept the challanges that come along as opportunities to grow yourself

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
princess-- find a way to do both--sounds like ye like what ye do for money-- so --make it work..LOL.... then ye be soooo happy, and appreciate the sailing so much more....and have more cash for fun stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.