Creating stowable space on Hunter 170

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Returning to sailing after many years in power boats, I picked up a Hunter 170 in fairly good shape. Some delamination at the gunwales and only a few small cracks. My wife likes the high boom mounting, which is a big plus. I have been impressed with the quality of the hardware, and lovelovelove the roller furling for the jib.

Something I find lacking is space to stow items that I don't want in the way while sailing: anchor, mooring lines, tools, first aid kit, and the such. This has me thinking about cutting an opening or two to allow to utilize space inside the hull. The plan would include creating covers from Delrin or other appropriate material, secured in a fashion that would ensure a good seal. I would create net enclosures in these spaces to keep things from sliding around, getting lost, or possibly damaging the hull.

After sealing against water, my biggest concern is the effect this might have on the structural integrity of the hull. I have rejected the idea of utilizing space under the main cockpit seats since people will be siting or standing in these areas, both placing stress on them and impeding access.

This leaves the forward cockpit. The two areas I am considering are outlined in green in the attached photo.

So, my questions:
Has anyone else tried this? If so, please share your results.
Which of the areas I am considering might be the least subject to stress?
What is your general impression? Good idea? Maybe could work? Bad idea?

Thanks, and Happy Sailing!
Front cockpit marked for stowage.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For the space on the port side I'm wondering how much space there is between the liner and the hull laminate. It looks like only a few inches. The liner stiffens the boat a significant degree - especially since you don't have a deck. For the bow I would probably shrink that one about half in area. What's in the access port on the port settee riser? I wouldn't give up on the seats. Try to learn if there is a core in the seats. You could always build in stiffening battens. And there are always dry bags.

Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply!

Good points. Space would be limited at the forward cockpit. about 6" and 12" from face to face means no more than 3" and 9" at the top, and less at the bottom. Useful for ropes and maybe a small anchor.

The access port reveals plenty of open space beneath the seats. I am pleased to be finding ready-made hatches available, water-tight and designed for use in traffic areas, so putting them on the seats themselves is an option. Less handy than at the front cockpit, would mean lifting or possibly removing cushions, but roomier, and hidden when not in use.

So, you don't think I would be weakening the boat at key areas (point about forward opening taken into consideration)?

Attachments

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
A few thoughts:
1) To minimize localized stress cracking, avoid sharp corners. Circular access ports are best. If you decide to go square or rectangle at least use a healthy radius at each corner. My guess is there's more stress in the forward bulkhead wall and I'd recommend a circular port only. Side areas are probably less stressed but I'd keep still the opening to a minimum.
2) The Hunter 18 comes with a 6 in. fwd access port but presumably for access to install the cleat and forestay fitting hardware only, there's nothing to keep stowed items from disappearing back into the hull. Both locations will have that challenge so not sure how you'd secure an internal net to the outer hull short of glassing in a mounting flange of some sort?
3) Have you considered external storage bags hung on exterior walls of the forward area? I bought a set for the 18 from the parts store - a large double pocket net bag for the side wall and 2 smaller bags that can be mounted anywhere. All were well made and reasonably priced at $45 (Hunter 18 storage bag). Geometry is probably different for the 170 but suspect the parts folks can make to order if needed.
Good Luck!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thanks for the quick reply!

Good points. Space would be limited at the forward cockpit. about 6" and 12" from face to face means no more than 3" and 9" at the top, and less at the bottom. Useful for ropes and maybe a small anchor.

The access port reveals plenty of open space beneath the seats. I am pleased to be finding ready-made hatches available, water-tight and designed for use in traffic areas, so putting them on the seats themselves is an option. Less handy than at the front cockpit, would mean lifting or possibly removing cushions, but roomier, and hidden when not in use.

So, you don't think I would be weakening the boat at key areas (point about forward opening taken into consideration)?
I wouldn’t cut any holes in the structure of the boat. The layup of several models of Hunters - 170 included are fibreglass mat, foam, Luran. The outer Luran layer is prone to some problems and does not lend itself to traditional fibreglass repair.
However your boat your choice.

Apr 11, 2020
This is all great stuff, guys, thanks!

Apprehension abounds regarding cutting into any parts of the boat. They crack easily enough without my help. I have considered the possibility of bags such as those suggested courtesy of CurtisC. Yes, I C what you did there ;). Those bags appear to be out of stock, but I could make my own with mesh easily enough. I suppose another option would be to fashion a trapezoidal box to fit behind the bulkhead. Perhaps both.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
This is all great stuff, guys, thanks!

Apprehension abounds regarding cutting into any parts of the boat. They crack easily enough without my help. I have considered the possibility of bags such as those suggested courtesy of CurtisC. Yes, I C what you did there ;). Those bags appear to be out of stock, but I could make my own with mesh easily enough. I suppose another option would be to fashion a trapezoidal box to fit behind the bulkhead. Perhaps both.
I think you'll find they're not a stock item and are made as they're ordered. Doubt you'll find a canvas shop that will do much better on price and my wife said she'd happily fork over the $45 before she'd run that stuff thru her machine.

Attachments

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Drop a bait box in the cuddy cabbin floor as close to tbe front as possible.

While you have the hole move the bow eye close to the water line.

The attached picture shows what inside. You're looking at starboard side centerboard and deck. Can see the roller furling thru hull tube and even a screw that hold the roller furling cam

If it was me i would be try to be sure its sealed up. It will be hard to get anything out if you drop something in the hull. You dont want rain water filling the hull either. 2 part foam is cheap, make your own box to make it watertight.

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for the link to that item! I am working on a non-destructive solution (scared of creating cracks by cutting into hull). Will share diagrams/pics.

Curious - why move the bow eye close to the water line?

Apr 11, 2020
My idea for a less-destructive approach...

Create a partition (as outlined in green) that will accommodate my anchor using this or similar material. Create a flat cover (outlined in blue). It would be supported on the port and starboard side by the existing lip, on the aft by the new partition, and at the bulkhead by a strip of material attached to the bulkhead. Attachment points would be minimal, and could be patched if I decided to uninstall. Slots would be cut to allow for drainage.

I would make it strong enough to serve as a step, and come up with a way to secure the top so it wouldn't end up on the bottom of the lake.

Attachments

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
My idea for a less-destructive approach...

Create a partition (as outlined in green) that will accommodate my anchor using this or similar material. Create a flat cover (outlined in blue). It would be supported on the port and starboard side by the existing lip, on the aft by the new partition, and at the bulkhead by a strip of material attached to the bulkhead. Attachment points would be minimal, and could be patched if I decided to uninstall. Slots would be cut to allow for drainage.

I would make it strong enough to serve as a step, and come up with a way to secure the top so it wouldn't end up on the bottom of the lake.
That might be effective. I wonder if you could add an arch to the green shape to mimic the fiberglass battens.

I alway wondered if there were plans for a hard top in that area that would rest in tbe groove.

Apr 11, 2020
That might be effective. I wonder if you could add an arch to the green shape to mimic the fiberglass battens.

I alway wondered if there were plans for a hard top in that area that would rest in tbe groove.
Then it would mean the blue portion would need to be curved to follow the curve at the bulkhead (if I am understanding you correctly). That would be possible if one were willing to heat the blue portion up enough to bend it.

On the other hand, leaving the blue part flat makes it a more stable platform to step on if need be. I was thinking about adding a non-slip surface there.

Apr 11, 2020
I have ordered materials to do an add-on locker just aft of the bulkhead. $165 for two pieces of 27x24x.5 Arctic White King Starboard Plastic Sheets, 2 hinges, and a flush latch at boatoutfitters.com. Will update for those interested.

Apr 11, 2020
Well, the good people at boatoutfitters.com sent me everything I needed (except the stainless steel screws which I already had) to create my bulkhead stowage solution. It doubles as a nice place to sit if you are not under sail running a jib.

Let me know if are interested in product numbers and other details, and thanks to everyone for you guidance. A special thanks to Crazy Dave Condon for his knowledgeable advice and a great conversation!

Attachments

Apr 11, 2020
Yikes! Forgot I said I would show how the front panel was mounted. Better late than never? View is from bow looking aft. At the bottom, I found that the screws were too close to the cubby deck to work a drill driver, so I added a cleat on top of the two that were mounted to the hull. I used 2" screws to be sure they grabbed in the Luran outer and fiberglass inner linings, being careful not to strip them out.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2020
Over the last few months I have bought several of these mesh organizers from Organized Obie. I wanted to see how they worked before posting here.

I have found them to be a real boon. I have them strategically positioned around the boat cockpit. Great for gloves, loose lines, drink coozies, empties, sunscreen, you-name-it. They attached easily with self-adhesive snaps, and remove easily as well.