Crazy or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2013
CAL 25 Dry Storage
Ok ok I bet you guys get this all the time....
Hi guys, I'm new on this site and I just bought an old boat.....
Right?
Well, I guess I'm the newest member of the "I have no money because I sunk it all in my boat club".
I just purchased a 1968 CAL 25 for $200. However, I can plainly see that it's going to take lots of work loads of money. Maybe more than I even want to tackle.
I think the guy just wanted it out of his yard.
My problem is that I have no trailer and I need to move it to a dry storage location to begin work on it.
Is it extremely expensive to move one without a trailer?
I may have gotten myself in over my head but at $200 I don't think I did to bad.
I can probably part it out for that.
Any suggestions on Transport????

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Ok ok I bet you guys get this all the time....
Hi guys, I'm new on this site and I just bought an old boat.....
Right?
Well, I guess I'm the newest member of the "I have no money because I sunk it all in my boat club".
I just purchased a 1968 CAL 25 for $200. However, I can plainly see that it's going to take lots of work loads of money. Maybe more than I even want to tackle.
I think the guy just wanted it out of his yard.
My problem is that I have no trailer and I need to move it to a dry storage location to begin work on it.
Is it extremely expensive to move one without a trailer?
I may have gotten myself in over my head but at $200 I don't think I did to bad.
I can probably part it out for that.
Any suggestions on Transport????
from the looks of your pic's you already have the way to haul it .....the flat bed it is sitting on is for a rolloff container truck...just shore it up good and sound and strap it down...then get a rolloff truck driver to come get it and take where you want it to be.....then set it down....negotiate your price with them most will do that......

regards

woody

ps.... welcome to SBO

May 27, 2013
CAL 25 Dry Storage
I wish it were that easy. The truck bed its sitting on belongs to someone else and same goes for the stands. I will have to pay someone to trailer it out of there on their trailer. I have 90 day to move it.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
taqlk to both th e bed owner and the jack stand owner and tell them your perdicament and it may help you...just be humble i have found that most people are helpful if you just mind your manners and be honest with them in most cases...never hurts to try after all you have nothing to loose and a lot to gain...give it a go and see what happens.....

regards

woody

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Just an observation. The boat is fine sitting there stationary. But if you try to tip it up at one end as a container truck would do, it will very likely slip off/topple. IMO it would require at least a dozen more "heavy" straps, half of them triangulated, to secure that boat to that rolloff flatbed for safe transport.

I would also try talking to whomever owns the flatbed about hauling it. But please, tie it down yourself. Do NOT rely on anyone else, it is not in their best interest.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Just an observation... the transom was cut out for an outboard? Scrap it the lead keel is worth more the 200 if it's lead. good luck!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Just an observation... the transom was cut out for an outboard? Scrap it the lead keel is worth more the 200 if it's lead. good luck!
Many boats were built like that, including this model Cal. Works well, motor is centered and the operator doesn't have to hang over the transom to fiddle with the motor. Below is a pic of mine.
Breaking a boat is a big, messy job and it's not likely that the lot owner would allow it, nor is it likely all the bits would be sold/gone in 3 months.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
LizaJane,
You might check craigslist for a sailboat trailer for sale or rent. If you have to buy you could turn around and rent it to others or resell it.
Then you need a way to move the boat from the cradle to the trailer. Maybe talk to a local company that has big forklifts in the area. The marina/yard I use down here just uses a forklift w/straps to move smaller sailboats.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2009
Looks cut out to me. But then It doesn't even look like a "Cal 25"

Feb 26, 2009
Yup, the newer ones were a totally different design. Anyway, So what will you be doing with the boat Liza?

May 27, 2013
CAL 25 Dry Storage
Yup, the newer ones were a totally different design. Anyway, So what will you be doing with the boat Liza?

I've been seeing a few comments about my boat as to which brand name it is and hopefully I have this right but the title I have says California Sailboat. So when I started my research of "California Sailboats" by looking up lists of current and historical manufacturers, I found no mention of that brand. I did however find CAL/Jensen. After using my powers of deduction and Google. I found some pictures of other advertised 1968 and 1969 CAL 25's and realized that the pictures and the description matched. And that how my particular boat in my opinion became a CAL 25.
Now, I am a novice when it comes to watercraft so if you have any suggestions or advice please feel free to chime in . My strong suit is Aircraft.
I've been an aircraft mechanic for 20+years. I've always wanted to own a sailboat and now I have what appears on the outside to be a sailboat but the inside tells a far different story. I bought it as a project to hone my skills in fiberglass layup and gel coat and I can hold my own in a cabinet and woodworking shop. I think this boat may prove to be far more resto work than I really care for so I may opt to go at it with a fifth of Jim Beam and a chainsaw.

Feb 26, 2009
LJ, well your ahead of many if your in the air craft trade! As the wings of a plane attach to the fuselage the Keel and it's attachment to the hull is the most important part of any sailboat. So I would suggest you determine if the stringers and keel bolts are in good condtion. If the boat is like so many, it's spent more time out of the water then in it which can be a good thing below but bad on deck. Older boats from the era were heavy FG layups because builders weren't ready to give up the bulk that wood boats had.

Aug 24, 2013
cal 25 Weymouth
the pics of this boat don't look like a cal to me. the cabin, rudder, bow rail, and gunnel are all wrong. I haven't seen the lines of a 1968 cal but I don't think they changed that much. this boat looks more like a hunter to me.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Hopefully I can help

I worked at Jensen Marine and I can tell you without a doubt the boat LizaJane bought is indeed an original Cal 25, one of the best sailing boats ever produced. It is one of several iconic Cal designs.

The keel is part of the hull molding and internally ballasted with lead (no attachment bolts). The transom outboard access is not "cut out" but made at the factory that way. The interior was generally Spartan but no matter, this boat was built to sail and sail well. It's built like a brick . . . . uh, you get the idea.

The picture and drawings posted by Denise are (as she and Merlin said) a completely different model from a different era but also produced by Jensen Marine under the Cal brand.

Sep 15, 2013
Lippincott 30 Oriental, NC
Yep that is a Cal 25. When they changed designs 1976 they still called it a Cal 25 which lead to the confusion. When you look up documentation online you usually find the newer info related to the second Cal 25 (now referred to as 2-25 or mark II if you are fancy). Check out the Cal 25 Class Association if you have doubts (they all seem to sail the earlier Cal 25 like this one).

Cal 25
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=446

Cal 2-25
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=711

Status
Not open for further replies.