Cranker drill attachement

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My Admiral bought me a great Milwaukee right-angle drill for Christmas and a “Cranker” bit, which fits in a winch.

I used it for the first few times recently, and it is seemed like a pretty good set up. Raised the mainsail no problem.

Then I tried to use it to crank my 200 pounds up the mast...and we had a problem.

The Milwaukee drill has to be set to reverse to crank my single speed Lewmar 16 cabin top winch I use for my halyard. As the guy who was running the drill put some load on it, the chuck of the drill unscrewed.

After inspection, we figured out that this design of drill uses a cap screw, through the drill chuck and into the drill shaft. When the drill is used in reverse, this screw keeps the chuck in place (or is supposed to). On my drill, the cap screw had broken off, and would no longer hold the chuck on the shaft (in reverse, the chuck would unscrew off the shaft).

Very disappointing.

I ordered 4 new cap screws from Milwaukee to see if this broken screw was a fluke (but I don’t think so).

I also read some notes on the Cranker website where they now offer an “Ultimate Cranker” that replaces the chuck on the 1/2” Milwaukee drill. Apparently, the broken screw is not unique to me, and the inventor came up with this new design to address issues with the chuck problems on the Milwaukee right-angle drill.

I reached out to “Bill” at the Cranker and he agreed to take back my very slightly used Original Cranker for a credit if I purchased a new Ultimate Cranker. These things are not cheap...$50 for original, and $80 for the Ultimate (including shipping). But I appreciated the fact that Bill would allow me to upgrade so I am not out the $50 spent on the first device.

So, if you are considering a drill and winch attachment, make sure you look at the options. I think the new design is much more fool proof if you use it with a Milwaukee drill.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Catalina 400 PORT JEFERSON, NY
My third crew member, the cranker

I had the same problem with the chuck unscrewing, Solved it with Blue Locktite, hasn't failed yet. I keep some red on hand just in case.

Alan J S/V Skol C400

Jan 7, 2011
Good tip. Thanks Alan.

My “Ultimate” Cranker has shipped.

Will give an update once I get it installed.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
My Admiral bought me a great Milwaukee right-angle drill for Christmas and a “Cranker” bit, which fits in a winch.

I used it for the first few times recently, and it is seemed like a pretty good set up. Raised the mainsail no problem.

Then I tried to use it to crank my 200 pounds up the mast...and we had a problem.

The Milwaukee drill has to be set to reverse to crank my single speed Lewmar 16 cabin top winch I use for my halyard. As the guy who was running the drill put some load on it, the chuck of the drill unscrewed.

After inspection, we figured out that this design of drill uses a cap screw, through the drill chuck and into the drill shaft. When the drill is used in reverse, this screw keeps the chuck in place (or is supposed to). On my drill, the cap screw had broken off, and would no longer hold the chuck on the shaft (in reverse, the chuck would unscrew off the shaft).

Very disappointing.

I ordered 4 new cap screws from Milwaukee to see if this broken screw was a fluke (but I don’t think so).

I also read some notes on the Cranker website where they now offer an “Ultimate Cranker” that replaces the chuck on the 1/2” Milwaukee drill. Apparently, the broken screw is not unique to me, and the inventor came up with this new design to address issues with the chuck problems on the Milwaukee right-angle drill.

I reached out to “Bill” at the Cranker and he agreed to take back my very slightly used Original Cranker for a credit if I purchased a new Ultimate Cranker. These things are not cheap...$50 for original, and $80 for the Ultimate (including shipping). But I appreciated the fact that Bill would allow me to upgrade so I am not out the $50 spent on the first device.

So, if you are considering a drill and winch attachment, make sure you look at the options. I think the new design is much more fool proof if you use it with a Milwaukee drill.

Greg
Greg, now let me see if I have this right! You purchased something that is defective with normal use as advertised for $50.00. The vendor makes statements that yes we are aware of this issue, However, you send us $30.00 more and we will ship you something that really works or (more foolproof with Milwaukee drill) in their opinion! Yes please keep us posted on your findings. In my opinion, they should have sent you at no cost and apologized for the problem found. Part of the problems today, is we need to make the company's accountable for false claims. The one thing they have to worry about is BAD REVIEWS! and believe me, this is one. IMO

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Have purchased 5 Milwaukee heated Jackets, Absolutely great for cool weather sailing. They have a rechargeable battery that also has a USB port too! Last about 4-6 hrs hours depending on temp settings (Low-Med-Hi) comes also in woman sizes with curves to boot. Take a look at their website. Capt. Rob

Jan 7, 2011
Greg, now let me see if I have this right! You purchased something that is defective with normal use as advertised for $50.00. The vendor makes statements that yes we are aware of this issue, However, you send us $30.00 more and we will ship you something that really works or (more foolproof with Milwaukee drill) in their opinion! Yes please keep us posted on your findings. In my opinion, they should have sent you at no cost and apologized for the problem found. Part of the problems today, is we need to make the company's accountable for false claims. The one thing they have to worry about is BAD REVIEWS! and believe me, this is one. IMO
The new part shipped, so I will let you know if it was worth it.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
So, I got the updated “Ultimate Cranker”. Seems like a good upgrade, but you do need to drill a dimple in the drill spindle for a set screw in the the attachment to keep the attachment from unscrewing when using the drill in reverse...

I haven’t used it to go up the mast yet, but it seems pretty robust.

Greg