cracks

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Do you have any idea what that crossbrace is cored with ? Wood, Glass, etc I can't tell on mine as we share the same hull. It could be the cracks are just in the glass covering the brace. Have you had any groundings?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Off topic: What make / model bilge pump do you have?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Had them too. I talked to a former boat builder who did our survey when we bought the boat. He said they were superficial and not structural. Its cracks in gel coat/ paint used in the bilge. Talked to a fiberglass guy that did some repair work for me, too. He said the same thing. His recommendation was to knock off any loose areas with a scraper, lightly sand the area with 80-100 grit paper and then paint with Bilge Kote from Interlux or a similar product.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I have a crack repair project in my future. My research so far is that for very fine cracks, Magic EZ may work. For larger cracks I would use Evercoat, a gelcoat repair kit, and gouge out the crack, refill it then sand, sand, sand and sand some more. Anyone have recent experience with either of these products?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I have a crack repair project in my future. My research so far is that for very fine cracks, Magic EZ may work. For larger cracks I would use Evercoat, a gelcoat repair kit, and gouge out the crack, refill it then sand, sand, sand and sand some more. Anyone have recent experience with either of these products?
To be honest they have a Gelcoat repair kit for bathtubs at Home Depot for $20.00 that is nearly a perfect match for our Catalina gelcoat. Even a closer match that what they have at Catalina Direct.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
To be honest they have a Gelcoat repair kit for bathtubs at Home Depot for $20.00 that is nearly a perfect match for our Catalina gelcoat. Even a closer match that what they have at Catalina Direct.
Really? have you tried it on a boat?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Really? have you tried it on a boat?
Yes. Like the results a lot. Like any gelcoat repair the prep and then lots of gentle sanding are essential to get it looking right. I had used the Catalina direct stuff a few years ago and like the Home Depot stuff better as it seems to be an RCH better match.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Anyone else have cracks like these ?
Yes and they were at a stress point like your. Since mine were in the bilge, like yours, I would just water tight seal them, and not worry about "matching" the color.
I would be more worried more about the metal miss match on you keel bolts. That is a "no no".:(
It appears that you have mild steel washers on Stainless Steel bolts.
Jim...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Yes and they were at a stress point like your. Since mine were in the bilge, like yours, I would just water tight seal them, and not worry about "matching" the color.
I would be more worried more about the metal miss match on you keel bolts. That is a "no no".:(
It appears that you have mild steel washers on Stainless Steel bolts.
Jim...
Really? Mine are stainless washers, bolts and nuts. Might just be some bilge gunk on the ones in the pic.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Yes I have them with some delamination at the front stringer in the bilge.
Warren Pandy says the stringers are fibreglass so you dont have to worry about rotting wood cores.
He said scrape away any loose stuff and take a dremel to it to see if it is gelcoat or fibreglass
If gel just clean and paint... if glass, grind out and fair in new tabbing.
I havent got that far yet.
I also have spalling in the bottom paint on the curve of the keel/hull transition that looks like it flexes there.
Warren says its a solid glass hull keel joint structure so it doesnt have wood to rot away like some of the C&C mountings so not to worry...
Peter

Anyone else have cracks like these ?

Did you fix them ?

paulj
:hook2: