Cracks radiating out from Keel Bolts: what product to fill with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2008
Ranger 26 Honolulu
My 1973 Gary Mull Ranger 26 (hull 285) has 10 keel bolts. Two bolts on the starboard side (in the middle of the boat) have badly rusted heads and the fiberglass beneath the washers is split--radiating out about an inch from the washer, with a decent sized hole in the center of the crack. All 8 other bolts are fine. This makes me wonder if before my ownership the boat took a minor impact on the center of the starboard side keel, which then put the most stress on these two bolts--which were then depressed downward with impact. Or, maybe just normal wear of hard sailing.
My question is: 1) How do I dry out the cracks (and associated holes);
and, 2) what material do I fill it with?

I want to use a hardening substance to squeeze into these cracks. They are roughly the diameter of a pencil, and I can stick a pencil into the holes deep enough to go about half the pencil's length. The shallow bilge is dry, but these holes are damp due to the minor amount of rain water that infrequently finds its way into the boat, and the WD-40 I sprayed onto the bolts when wire-brushing off the rust. Lots of rusted metal bits and muck in the cracks--I don't know what material lies underneath the bilge fiberglass.
I dont' know much about epoxy and fiberglassing. This will be my first project tackling this kind of thing (my first sailboat). I'm looking for specific product names to go buy, and a how-to procedure.

A haul-out would be nice. But that won't happen for another year, so until then all projects will have to be done on the water.
Thanks, Jon

Apr 18, 2007
Jeanneau Sun Oddysey 40.3 Chicago, IL, USA
Pictures would help alot, but I'd be extremely cautious about suggesting any kind of remedy with or without seeing what you're describing. The fact that the cracks are localized to specific bolts is encouraging, but trying to "patch" this kind of damage is fraught with danger. Just as an example (and as you recognize) trying to flush crud like rust, and chemicals like oils out of the cracks is close to impossible.

At risk of abdicating responsibility, a competent surveyor/repair person should see this and give you advice.

My core advice would be to educate yourself and use your own common sense in deciding what to do.

Marty

Dec 10, 2009
Ranger R26 231 Baltimore
hi all
I have a 1971 Ranger 26 hull 231 nice vessel.
Last year I replaced all my keel bolts tighten to 105 foot psi.
Had the same problem you have same side same bolts.The preveis owner replaced those bolts and put a big 4inch /4inch
pvc bord and put the washer on it.lift this in place . Between the hull and the floor is a wood sandwich.The bolt rust and shrink
cosing the fiberglass to crack.When you hull the vessel clean out any lose or bad caulk between the keel and the hull.
I used 5200 6 years ago and had no problems. Bolts we"er bad wean I got the Vessel.This is a natural thing that
happen on all vessel.Go sailing.it will be find.Just do not go over 55 knots!.

Status
Not open for further replies.