Cracking around mast struts, major issue or no?

Dan260

Jan 24, 2022
Hunter 260 Panama City
Hello hunter owners!

I am looking at a to become part of your club. We found a 2002 Hunter 260 in pretty good shape, but like most 20 year old things it has some minor issues. One that I had a question about is some moderate cracking around the mast struts (see pictures). There is no leaks or softness in the deck surrounding it . I do not have a lot of boat ownership experience so I thought would ask the pros (you all)!

Thanks so much,
~Danny

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is unlikely that those cracks will sink the boat. If the boat fit my desires and the price my budget, I would buy it based on the statements you made. No leaks and a sound deck.

They appear to be cracks in the gelcoat. These occur when the boat flexes or the deck was strained. Gelcoat is fairly brittle and does not like a lot of stress. You can clean up the cracks and reapply gelcoat to cosmetically repair them.

II would look carefully beneath the damaged area and at all lines that are associated with that area. It appears the image is at the base of a shroud. If so I would inspect the other end to see if something is amiss on the mast.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I think most would agree that repairs are generally possible. My boat is mostly plastic and easily repairable. I knew mine had a few cracks and I also knew those could be fixed when it was bought. Fiberglas is the same. Just different techniques.

FWIW, my First Mate if forcing me to take a weekend in Navarre next month.;) Weather permitting, the boat is going too.

Dan260

Jan 24, 2022
Hunter 260 Panama City
Thanks for the input all! I am trying to learn a lot very quickly and this forum is a gold mine.

Tater! Hi neighbor. I hope it is warmer than this weekend! May see you around the intercoastal someday if this deal goes through.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
These cracks aren't unusual or indicative of structural problems. They show that area of the deck has been stressed by the strut. As John said the fiberglass flexes but the gel coat doesn't i.e crack. It the fiberglass were built heavy enough to insure there wouldn't be cracks twenty years forward, the boat would be so heavy it wouldn't be practical. Repair if you must. Ignore if you can.
Always be mindful of water intrusion around anything that penetrates the deck.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The bolts are screwed into embedded aluminum plates encapsulated in fiberglass. When you raise the mast, does it appear the struts are binding or too loose. Also, check the along the mast from bottom edge of mast to center of the bolt holding struts on both sides of mast and advise lengths.
One other thing, check to see if mast at the bolt attachment is centered on the boat from sail track to side of boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Those are pretty normal on boats. Not an impact tell, typically.
i had a Hunter 280 that had various cracks in the gel coat, no big deal. My current O’Day 322 has even more, 10 year older boat), but still no big issue.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We’ll Dave this can be a teachable event for us. A lot of us know about the aluminum plates that are glassed into the decks of Hunters to screw hardware into. But how is that done? Does the fiberglass completely cover the aluminum and if so how thick is it? I could imagine the fiberglass around the plates flexing under load and subsequently getting cracks in the gel coat there. Are there any known cases of the plates tearing out of the fiberglass?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When fabricating a hull, manufacturers precut the fiberglass pieces that will go into the hull along the aluminum plates. When they start, they do not stop. Halfway the plates are laid on the fiberglass which is glassed in. All the time resin rollers are used to insure air is rolled out. In essence the aluminum is glassed in. I have seen a hull completed in a day but rolled out to another area to dry. As to thickness I do not know.
If the struts are not aligned correctly will create pressure in some places and can crack gel. Look at my last post as I was asking for more information about the struts