Cracked motor mount on Hunter 26

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
The plate that my motor mounts on is badly cracked and I need to make or buy a new one. Complicating this is my boat is already in the water with the motor mounted on it.

Any suggestions? Also would appreciate if anyone has templates or measurements.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Photos might help. Can you remove the motor and its plate off the mount while in the water OR do you have a trailer to pull the boat out to allow you to replace the plate on land?

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
The boat is at the lake about 90 minutes away and couldn't get pics because I am on the boat and the motor is in the water and covers most of the crack. I can't get it over to the trailer or ramp unless I am towed because I don't dare use the motor.

It's the original hunter 26 mount, have seen it on other H26s. My hope is to find a replacement. Find a buddy to help me pull the motor without dropping it in the lake, bolt the new one on and put the motor back.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you can wrestle the motor into the cockpit, you should be able to remove the mount, put a dab of epoxy in the crack, clamp, crack a cold one and wait an hour. Reverse the process and go sailing.:cool:

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
If you can wrestle the motor into the cockpit, you should be able to remove the mount, put a dab of epoxy in the crack, clamp, crack a cold one and wait an hour. Reverse the process and go sailing.:cool:
What epoxy do you suggest?

Jan 19, 2010
I'm partial to JB weld and have used it for many things. But it probably does not matter that much. You could use titebond III but the dry time would be 24 hours. Gorilla glue is super strong but also take a while to dry and needs strong clamping power to be effective

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Thanks for the ideas. May try to get a smaller plate to reinforce the cracked area and clamp it all together.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
To get the boat to the ramp couldn't you sister the mount with metal, wood or composite plate and clamp the motor to the whole assembly?

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
@shemandr has a good idea. If you are uncertain about wresting the O.B. into the cockpit, that would be an alternative. Regarding JB weld. In years past, I owned an old Ford Ranger. A major oil change company (lets call them spiffy lube) cracked my oil pan when tightening the plug then claimed they didn't do it.... to replace the $20 oil pan you had to take out the transmission first ($300 labor)... so the mechanic took pity on me and cleand out the oil pan with acetone, filled in the old threaded hole with JB weld, then tapped a new plug into the pan. I sold that truck five years later and it was still holding.

Since your job is above the water line, I don't see a reason to buy the more expensive JB weld Marine.

If it were mine, I'd pull the split completely apart and then weld the entire crack with JB weld. Put a pipe clamp on low pressure over the board.... (or replace the boad). I think the JB approach would be a quicker repair since you won't have to drill new holes etc. Plus if you don't already have pipe clamps, you can use this project as an excuse to buy more tools.... ;)

I have two of these and I find uses for them all the time (see pic). The pipes are sold separately at lowes. You adjust the "clamp" on the left to fit the job and then squeez it down using the screw on the right. It is a great way to glue a lot of boards together into a larger board or a stout block.

1620679005863.png

If you set it all up and have time to let it sit overnight, I would go with Gorilla glue. Gorilla glue expands as it cures so it will fill any voids in the wood (which is why you need clamping power to make it work well). I have destroyed a wooden joint made of Gorilla glue by smashing it against a tree until if failed and the joint did not fail at the glue seam. The wood failed. But I'm confident that JB weld will outlast that piece of wood also and it will be ready to use in a few hours.

Edit: If you go with JB weld, use a relatively low clamping pressure. You don't want to squeeze all of the JB weld out of the joint. If you go with Gorilla glue, use a medium-high clamping pressure but start of with a well saturated joint. Wipe off the glue that squeezes out of the joint.

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
I believe the current plates are made out of marine board. Not sure how old as I only owned the boat for a year. We had an issue getting the boat off the trailer this last time and I think the bouncing is what broke it.

I think I can make a patch from marine boar easy enough to get me through the summer and then this fall make one from something more substantial

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I would attach the main halyard to the motor to haul it up. Part of the joy of a sailboat is making use of those lines and winches.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
If your crack is horizontal, couldn’t you drill vertical holes through the wood and use bolts to hold every thing together?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
...I don't dare use the motor.
That seems like you're being overly conservative, to me. If it's that badly cracked then it was almost certainly that badly cracked last time you used the motor, you just didn't notice. It seems like you're making the job far, far harder than it needs to be by not just motoring over to the ramp and putting the boat on the trailer.

If it were me, I wouldn't even think twice about that. Put it on the trailer, pop the motor off, and take the whole thing home were you can fix it in ease and comfort, without pressure.

Jan 19, 2010
Well the OP has not responded to this tread since May 10th so I'm guessing he has fixed it and gone sailing.;)