Cracked and Warped Headliner, leaks along cabin side?

Jan 12, 2021
Catalina 30 New London
Hello All,

I'm interested in purchasing a Cat 30, but am concerned about two issues. First in the headliner which is clearly bowed, wavy & cracked. The second is a line of rust(?) along the cabin sides below the deck and hull joint. My initial though is that the Genoa track may need rebedded but I'm not sure yet. This is just a preliminary inspection / walk through.

Attachments

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
John,

You are joking, right?

If the boat is "free" to you (a giveaway) and you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars in yard repair costs, or tens of hundreds of your hours, buy it after a survey of the hull and sea trial and engine and rigging inspection by a qualified mechanic and qualified rigger.

Otherwise, run as far away as you can, as quickly as your legs will carry you.

That boat has been BADLY abused and may have been storm damaged.
I do all my work myself so the cost is low(er) but I wouldn't go near that mess with structural problems, and WHO KNOWS the condition of the engine and keel and rigging and electrical and whatnot else.

You didn't say your budget but there are nice, non abused C-30s in CT.

Jan 12, 2021
Catalina 30 New London
Thank you, Ken. I am specifically looking for a project boat, but after looking at the headliner and the leaky areas, I agree it's probably too much. I do all the work myself (which is part of the 'pleasure' (?) of buying a project. This particular one would be 'free' as in paying for a years storage up front.

May 7, 2011
The headliner is the symptom probably not the problem. You might end up RnR most the deck.
The stains don’t look to me to be a bedding problem, more of a hull/deck joint issue, but naturally that’s not being hands’ on.

do you know her story?

ken

The only thing that works on an old boat, is the owner.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hello All,

I'm interested in purchasing a Cat 30, but am concerned about two issues. First in the headliner which is clearly bowed, wavy & cracked. The second is a line of rust(?) along the cabin sides below the deck and hull joint. My initial though is that the Genoa track may need rebedded but I'm not sure yet. This is just a preliminary inspection / walk through.
I would want to know more about wet core in the deck. I am not too worried about the headliner unless :
1) the core is wet or
2) there is some indication of the deck being compressed by the mast.

What is the condition of any compression post?

The staining could be a lot of things, but all of them are a leak...port lights, Genoa tracks, other things mounted to the deck, maybe the hull/deck joint (but if the joint is all fiberglass (no wood cap rail, etc) I doubt it).

I am assuming you want project boat and the price is reasonable for the age and condition of the boat (obviously a bit rough).

what about the engine and drive system? Big money in repowering.

Cheers,

Greg

Jan 12, 2021
Catalina 30 New London
I would want to know more about wet core in the deck. I am not too worried about the headliner unless :
Thank you Greg, I'll revisit the boat and check the deck, it's under a tarp. I'll also check the post, but I don't specifically recall seeing one. I'm planning an electric repower, which is good since the a-bomb is kaput. I also want to check the sails. the standing rigging seems to be in good shape.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thank you Greg, I'll revisit the boat and check the deck, it's under a tarp. I'll also check the post, but I don't specifically recall seeing one. I'm planning an electric repower, which is good since the a-bomb is kaput. I also want to check the sails. the standing rigging seems to be in good shape.
Sometimes the compression post is built into a bulkhead. Check under the mast area.

Greg

May 7, 2011
John

every c30 has a compression post. The teak postthat sits between the head door and saloon.
the issue isn’t the post, it’s the post support under it in the bilge. It’s a nasty fix but certainly minor compared to what else you’re willing to tackle.