Crack repair manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2008
Hunter 216 Longboat Key
Hi all, need a diy manual/link on repairing cracks in my 216. Hunter has fixed the huge crack running from chainplate down the hull, now have new cracks on cabin top and want to do it myself. THX

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Go down a few posts in the Daysailer list and look at HULL SCRATCH posted by PDecot. It references a link to a repair guide, this can be found at http://www.sailing-obsession.com/ACPrepair.htm.

The guide describes a large scale repair but smaller cracks are fixed using similiar methods. A "V" groove is cut into the crack using a can opener or other tool and Devcon Plastic Welder is used as the filler. The link provides information on how to paint the repair as well. It's intended for 170 owners but should work on your 216.

Take a look in the archives for "crack repair" and you will see many ACP repair discussions. One issues is that archived posts from the old site do not seem to have the links & photos intact but you should get a good idea on how to tame the problem.

perhaps a better reference is http://www.sailing-obsession.com/ACP Repair.pdf

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 309 Ottawa
I used to have a H216 and was just talking to a guy who sells them and he told me that Hunter just replaced his whole boat because of a crack just like you describe. I would contact Hunter and tell them your story and ask them what they plan to do. My friend told me that Hunter said that there was a manufacturing problem when the moulded the some of the H216's.

Good Luck,

Gary

Oct 8, 2008
Hunter 216 St Cloud Florida
216 Cracks

Hi all, need a diy manual/link on repairing cracks in my 216. Hunter has fixed the huge crack running from chainplate down the hull, now have new cracks on cabin top and want to do it myself. THX
I had a problem with some surface cracks on the floor near the compainion way. Hunter fixed it but I am concerned about the future as well. Let me know what you find out. I guess we can't just use fiberglass on that surface.

Ed

I

Iain

I had a problem with some surface cracks on the floor near the compainion way. Hunter fixed it but I am concerned about the future as well. Let me know what you find out. I guess we can't just use fiberglass on that surface.

Ed
I am presently looking at purchasing a new 216 and stumbled on this site by accident - I to would like to hear the outcome and comments by other owners if this is a common problem.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Regarding your concerns over the 216

I went through the archives pretty carefully before buying my 170. There are many stories about the cracking problem and other areas of concern. Example: if you use a dark boat cover, you could experience sufficient heat to cause a crack.

In my case, I purchased the boat with a couple of smaller cracks, contributed to the development of a larger one and am in the middle of the repair process now. I'm pleased with the repair results and am not really concerned about future problems.

W

wundrbar

Concerned Hunter Owner

I am presently looking at purchasing a new 216 and stumbled on this site by accident - I to would like to hear the outcome and comments by other owners if this is a common problem.
I have a Hunter 170 with numerous cracks in the hull - some 1/4 inches thick and 10 feet long. I just woke up one morning and the hull shattered like and egg due to the cold winter temperatures here in Canada. Worse, Hunter did not offer to do anything to rectify the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.