Crack in mast post base fiberglass

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
Our 1983 Hunter 33 has a deck stepped mast,
The pole inside the cabin runs down to the base/keel?. This base looks
like a fiberglass covered 2 x 6. This is cracked....

Sorry no pictures until next weekend.

Anyone know this issue by chance?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have a 1980 H33 and that post base is an aluminum casting enveloped in fiberglass. On mine the base casting is the same on each end of the post. It can be chipped out with a hammer and chisel. Watch out for corrosion on the bottom of the post.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Search my threads for the same issue but for my 78. I documented it fairly well. The base on my was a steal Ibeam that failed miserably.

Dec 28, 2015
Is it sunken in? Does any change in elevation transmit to the cabin top?

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
I do not believe so I will be back there tomorrow and will try to measure it out but nothing obvious...

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
Hi Mike,
Have a tough time sifting through your stuff. You have an impressive amount of content here.

Search tip??? Is compression post in your title?

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
I found it.. Thank you for you direction....

Was your setup encapsulated as shown in my pictures???

Dec 28, 2015
I found it.. Thank you for you direction....

Was your setup encapsulated as shown in my pictures???
my model years had a steal I-Beam that was encapsulated in fiberglass. The vertical web of the I-beam was rusted through on the front side. It the only thing of concern is the cracks in the surface of the structure, I don't know if I would have any concern. You could drill into it to see if there is moiture or rot. If you leave it, I would grind out the crack and fill it in to eliminate moisture getting into it. Mine was failing and allowing the compression post to rotate and tilt forward causing the ceiling of the cabin to indent on the front of where the compression post contacted the ceiling and the cabin top was starting to lower due to the compression post not being plumb. It was very hard to see except for the ceiling indent like the compression post was digging into it. The design didn't align the compression post with the mast step. It really had minimal support to the front half of the step. I added the second compression post to support this. It took a long time to figure it all out with the door but I'm very happy with it. The new structure that replaced the I-Beam is laminated composite counter top material with all-thread running vertically down into a bed of thickened epoxy I laid up the structure into then epoxy was poured into the holes for the all-thread locking the structure to the rest of the hull.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
Thankyou for your advice,

Most appreciated.

Have an awesome Sailing season...

TZ

Z-Breeze
Salem MA