Cowl vents on MH40

Mar 21, 2016
Hunter MH40 Apollo Beach, FL
Do the cowl vents on my 2014 MH40 have a dorade box to keep water out or are they just vents? If it has a dorade, then how well does it keep out the water? I usually keep the vents off and the covers on.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I am confused by your question. Can't you just look at the cowl vent and see if it is attached to a box or not?

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
On my Hunter 50, the cowl vents utilize the forward portion of the spray hood as a sort of "dorade box". In almost 6 years of ownership, I have never used the covers and never had any water ingress.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
My MH 37 has the cowl vents with a shutoff in the cabin. I leave the vents open unless I am washing down the boat or really bad weather.

Mar 21, 2016
Hunter MH40 Apollo Beach, FL
There are two almost flush openings on the deck with flat covers to close them if desired. They feed to one vent in the cabin overhead, but I was not sure how well they keep the water out and where it drains. I went out and took one cover off to be greeted by a wasp nest the size of my palm and many angry wasps. I grabbed my wasp spray and dispatched many of them. After a while, i got the hose and rinsed off around the vent then let a small stream of water go inside. After a while I saw a small stream of water draining beside the companion way into the cockpit. I tried a little more to see how much the cavity filled up, and it seemed to drain quite well. I think the wasps came in the drain holes, but fortunately didn't find their way into the cabin. I think the dorades may work fine. Because we get late afternoon thundershowers many afternoons and the wind may change direction, I will need to be careful about which way the vent is pointed. Thanks to all who replied.

Attachments