COVID Cruising This Season

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
Is anybody making the jump across to the Bahamas this year? Is it worth it?

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I was really having a hard time deciding whether or not to head south this fall, but finally decided to stay put this season with the hopes that things will be back to normal next year. So many cruisers got stuck in the Bahamas last spring, not allowed to leave or even go ashore, and if there is indeed a resurgence in the coronavirus as some are predicting, it could be as bad if not worse.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
With that said, there have been quite a few boats anchoring in Solomons on their way south through the Chesapeake....

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Is anybody making the jump across to the Bahamas this year? Is it worth it?

Sep 29, 2012
Taswell 43 Center Cockpit currently the eastern Carrib
I can't speak to the Bahamas, as we're coming at it from the other direction. We have been cruising for the past 20+ years. We sailed and lived aboard in Asia for 12+ years, then cruised the Medd for 4 seasons, and have spent the past 6 seasons in the Caribb. We leave our boat strapped down and on the hard at Puerto Del Rey Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, as we return to our MN lake home for the summer months. Last spring we "enjoyed" the total lockdown, with no place to go, and were delayed getting into Puerto Rico and returning to MN by about 6 weeks. And this year, unfortunately and unless the vaccine suddenly becomes universally available(???), we have elected to not temp fate, stay put, "enjoy" a MN winter, and hopefully avoid Covid and/or more closed/limited borders.

Jun 24, 2014
Beneteau 461 Kent Narrows, MD
I am thinking of sailing south again from the Chesapeake Bay, Kent Island.
This last March-April I brought the boat back from SW Florida, Punta Gorda. Going solo it took me 3 weeks. There was no traffic. Canadian snow-birds took off earlier and marinas had plenty of transient slips available. But I anchored out, safer and only took a mooring in St. Augustine to re-provisioning. My biggest worry was that Florida or any other state would restrict or close boating and I would be stranded.
Which actually happened in MD after I arrived home. Depending on the increase in new infections some states may close recreational boating. Hopefully will leave transients to proceed through.
My goal is to spend 2+ months in the Exumas. There will be some extra paperwork to be submitted and I will have to have COV-19 test done not to be older then 5 days and of course showing negative for the virus. Bahamas is also very specific which test is acceptable ! See above email with the Health and Safety link.
Good luck to everyone traveling south.

Cheers
Peter on s/v BELVEDERE
Beneteau Oceanis 461