Coverting an icebox to powered refrigeration

Tlewis

Aug 5, 2016
Pearson 36-2 Port Royal, SC
Ahoy mateys,
I just purchased a 1988 Pearson 36-2. It still has the original built in icebox. I dread tearing it out and replacing so was wondering if I could somehow install a coldplate in the original, or is it even worth it.
Thanks.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Most manufacturers have modular systems that can be fitted into an ice box. Key to success is insulation. If the ice box is not insulated well that will drive up the energy consumption which leads to either more motor running or more solar/wind/hydro and a bigger battery bank .......kinda snowballs and becomes a PITA
Pretty sure West Marine has a info page to help size the unit.

Tlewis

Aug 5, 2016
Thanks Stu and Bill. I feel much more comfortable now with putting in refrigeration. I have plenty of ah and will consult with the advisors. Fantastic!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Ahoy mateys,
I just purchased a 1988 Pearson 36-2. It still has the original built in icebox. I dread tearing it out and replacing so was wondering if I could somehow install a coldplate in the original, or is it even worth it.
Thanks.
I have. 1986 P36-2 that was upgraded to include a cold plate. Great upgrade. If you would like I can send you photos of the install and where compressor and plate are located.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I have 3 group 31 agm's and can run refrig for a few days keeping ice. Great for weekends.

Tlewis

Aug 5, 2016
I have. 1986 P36-2 that was upgraded to include a cold plate. Great upgrade. If you would like I can send you photos of the install and where compressor and plate are located.
Thanks NYSail, I would love those pics and also what brand of CP if known. Not sure if I should post my email or if there is another way to get it to you. Also, I have 4 grp 27 house batteries.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Two things, the original boat coolers were poorly insulated so upgrade the insulation and cold air flows to the bottom so make sure to plug the drain hole on the cooler.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Well Pearson did a great job with the insulation on these boxes. Also the drain doesn't need to be plugged because the hose goes up to the sink pump. Basic installation....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Thanks NYSail, I would love those pics and also what brand of CP if known. Not sure if I should post my email or if there is another way to get it to you. Also, I have 4 grp 27 house batteries.
I will snap some pictures and send you all information on the CP I have.... Its an Adler Barbour. You can send me a message on this site with your email

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I am going to install a double Peltier unit in my 272 icebox. I probably won't get it sone this season, which ends in October, but I will definitely post the results.
The Peltier unit is a solid state cooling unit. It works slowly, but it seems to work well.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I am going to install a double Peltier unit in my 272 icebox.
I installed that type of unit in my last boat. Worked very very poorly. In my opinion it was a waste of time money and effort. As I remember it was an energy hog for the amount of cooling. I ended up taking it out and installing an Isotherm Holding Plate ASU system(purchased from Defender).

An excellent unit both in ease of installation and extremely low energy consumption, much better than any evaporative system. If the evaporative system in my current boat ever quits I will not hesitate to install an other Isotherm ASU holding Plate again.

Aug 3, 2012
I installed that type of unit in my last boat. Worked very very poorly. In my opinion it was a waste of time money and effort. As I remember it was an energy hog for the amount of cooling. I ended up taking it out and installing an Isotherm Holding Plate ASU system(purchased from Defender).

An excellent unit both in ease of installation and extremely low energy consumption, much better than any evaporative system. If the evaporative system in my current boat ever quits I will not hesitate to install an other Isotherm ASU holding Plate again.
Interesting! Thanks for the info. Do you daysail or cruise? I had some worry about the energy consumption, but my experience with my cooler has been excellent, so far. The cost is only $25.00 for the Peltier unit, so the cost is really not a waste to find out for me. My icebox is better insulated and about the same size as my cooler. Considering we only spend a day or so a week on the boat, and we have used our electric cooler on the boat while day sailing, I am not worried about power. We have left our electric cooler running while sailing for 4 hours, and it did not drain our batteries. We are back at the dock every night. I will certainly look at this Isotherm ASU unit!
Thanks,
Andrew

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
Mostly day sail but I almost leave the refrigeration on, as I don't want packing up the boat to go sailing to be a project. We like to walk down to the boat and go. So stuff is left in the refrigerator all the time.

Keep in mind a Peltier can only only cool to a certain number of degrees (can't remember how many) below ambient air temperature so if you are in a hot climate don't expect really cold stuff

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Years ago one of the sailing mags had a DIY article about using the mechanicals from a dorm-size fridge. Placed on the boat to cool the OEM box-cooler, it seemed like a good idea. Of course that means inverter or shore power, but unplugged from the dock, maybe might stay cold enough to last during a day sail?

Aug 3, 2012
Mostly day sail but I almost leave the refrigeration on, as I don't want packing up the boat to go sailing to be a project. We like to walk down to the boat and go. So stuff is left in the refrigerator all the time.

Keep in mind a Peltier can only only cool to a certain number of degrees (can't remember how many) below ambient air temperature so if you are in a hot climate don't expect really cold stuff
I would like to leave so stuff on the boat too. We have always returned to the dock so far, since we are on a lake. I think the temp differential for the Peltier is like 45 degrees, but I routinely find ice in the bottom of my cooler after it has run for the weekend. We used to turn it off while sailing, and it kept the food cold. Once we tried running it while sailing, we found it did not drain the batteries too much. If I was going to anchor overnight, I would not leave it on unless I had some solar or wind generation. It will be an interesting, low risk, low cost experiment. If we don't like it, we can do the cold plate.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
TL.... Check your email. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions regarding this or anything else. I have done many upgrades and changes to the boat since I've had her......

Tlewis

Aug 5, 2016
Thank you sir. I too plan on doing a few upgrades so may be contacting you via email.