Covering the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russell

I have just acquired a 235 that has been stored inside. I will not have a place to get it out of the weather. So I am looking for a boat cover that fits the 235. It will be stored near trees. That means birds and leaves to contend with. Any ideas?

L

Lee

Boat cover/tarp

I have a H240. I get a tarp at Wally World that is I believe about 26 x 14. I place it over the mast in its traveling postion. The tarp covers the entire length of the mast, and therefore the boat. It hangs over the sides, and this year I am using bungy cords to hold it in place. I check it periodically for ponding and drain the water as needed. Last year I took the time to use a clothes line to make a web running from one life line, across the mast to the life line on the other side, and back and so forth. This worked reasonably well at preventing the ponding. I'm not aware of any boat covers for these boats.

B

Bill O'Donovan

Two tarps

One small one from the mast forward, one larger one from the mast backward. I buy Tu-Tuff tarp from an industrial supplier in Philly because it's a heavier grade and will last an entire season. A few strategic bungy cords keep it in place, preserving the finish.

M

mrbill

OR, a canopy / tent

You can get tarp tents fron HomeDepot, NortherTool, HarborFreight, with sides if you like. just extent the legs w/ pipe. run 99-$250.

B

Bart

COVERS

When I put the cover on the mast is laying down in the trailering position. I have been using the Wal-Mart version poly tarps over my 240 for about 5 years. one will last 2-3 years. I have taken PVC pipe the same length the tarp is wide, allowed for the bend and gone over the top of the mast. I inserted tent stakes and tied off the gromets to these.Works pretty well. Take another small tarp and cover the back end. Looks like a big conestoga wagon in the driveway. I just finished trying something else. I had water pooling on the tarp. Again I used pvc. 3/4"sch 40. I took a tee, cut a slot in the side of it, stuck the pipe in it(one tee each end) and slipped it over the life lines. So far it has worked. You might want to use foam pipe insulation on your lifeline uprights to protect what ever tarp you end up with. It doesn't take long to punch a hole. Good Luck

R

Ryan

Sailors Tailor

I would check with this company that makes all kinds of sailboat covers. Sailorstailor.com These guys might be able to make you a good cover that will protect your boat for an economical price. Worth a shot. Ryan

L

Larry

boat tent

last year i bought a 30x20 tarp from home depot. i used 3'4" pvc and built a frame from the stantion mounts over the cabintop. i then ran two peices of tubing from bow rain to stern and sunk one end into the ground. was perfect for the rains but the heavy snows wwe had last winter caused the whole thing to collaps. this year i used 2" pvc and and a fist full of elbows. dug three posts into the ground... one at stearn and one each side one a line with the companionway. i also ran 2" from the bow rail to the stearn post. a couple of zip ties to close the ends and a rope under the trail to hold the whole thing down. it blows and rattles in the big winds but the air flows freely underneath the tarp and the snow hasn't bothered it this year so far. when the weather warms i can loosen one end and get in and work out under the tarp.

Status
Not open for further replies.