Cover pic? Really?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
View attachment 191184

That and she's just 5' tall so she so has one foot on each seat locker so she can see over the dodger.

But most of all, she's watching me on the foredeck (a friend took this shot sailing alongside). If I go over, she'll dive in I swear. That is the look of true love.
Isn't that a photo by some guy at Tom Young Design?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tom, i recognized the stance. when my youngest daughter was seven i started having her make all docks for us. she would straddle the seats and then jump down to adjust the throttle then jump back up to man the wheel. it was amusing for me to watch her. it would startle onlookers to see her do such.

daughter, seven, doing all docks, helm, throttle ....? just like on a ship, i would call out quietly, midships, one spoke right, or two spokes left, and so on. i would say neutral, idle forward, idle astern, 1500 rpm forward, ..... we got very good at this game, she and i. as time went by i needed to tell her less. dock gawkers were blown away. she became a master sailor at a very young age.

my father taught me the same way.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Isn't that a photo by some guy at Tom Young Design?
No Dave, I just liked that one as I looked over past issues.

I have a lot more rejected photos for covers at GOB. I've only managed to get two over the years.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... We call that being 'chained to the wheel'. No decent sailor would be doing that, she would have the AP on and cocktail in her hand. At least EVERY woman sailor I know would....
I like your choice of women:plus:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I like your choice of women:plus:
Yea. I have to chuckle about the comment accusing me not not being 'WOKE'...
Anyone that remotely knows me knows that I'm a passionate supporter of women, and of women's sailing in particular. And they also know that no way Jodi would put up with a clown that was not.

Every action has an effect. That picture was an opportunity to show woman's sailing as it really is; strong; competent, brave. Just like men's. Instead it reinforces the misconception that it is passive, lesser. It's a missed opportunity.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
May we see them?
Sure, this is my favorite. I was sailing alone with a reef in the main taking the shot down the side deck. Lot's of sun but I wanted to give motion to the image so I set a slower shutter speed (the camera doesn't want to do that). The narrow aperture gave good focus throughout.

It was problematic for a cover as it originated in horizontal format. Luckily it had enough resolution to take the crop. But it lost quite a bit to my eye. Especially the glint of sunlight off the old stanchion gate(cropped out).
GOB May cover 2.jpg

And this one: Same problem with the format, horizontal, but the resolution was there (saved by shooting in RAW format). But the light is harsh on this one so they had some problems making it work. Still, they liked the subject enough to make it work.

She has sailed thousands of miles, from Canada to the Bahamas, often lost in her book.

P reading foredeck Daisy 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Always have one unique problem with GOB no matter how many photos or articles I've submitted. They always ask, "Now, are you sure this is a fiberglass boat, Tom" They're serious, they won't put a wooden boat on the cover or do articles on them. Smart, they have a niche of old fiberglass boats, the designs, the builds, the histories and the people that own them.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Beautiful, Tom! Thanks. Those are winners in my book.
I didn’t realize GOB eschewed wood.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Beautiful, Tom! Thanks. Those are winners in my book.
I didn’t realize GOB eschewed wood.
Not entirley true. I had articles on wood preservation, for example. But they know their niche, which is " regular boats that regular Joe's own." That's intentionally broad, but it summarizes the focus. Wooden or sporty boats fit to, but in limited doses. I wrote an article on "good old multihulls," with an emphasis on historically important designs.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Motor sailing is a perfectly available tool to move the boat in a trip. It can help maintain speed during changes in course. It can cut hours in a long range passage. The object is to cut traveling time and not to extract the last fraction of speed from a given wind vector. The Boat is a 1972 , it is 48 years old and I think qualifies to be an Old Boat.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
OK @Jackdaw, exactly what was the bet? Do you win more per page? So far you are up to :beer::beer::beer::beer:. I woke this morning around 7 AM.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yup, it would have been much better if it was the usual advertiser-supplied photo of a new model linked to an infomercial inside.

Nov 8, 2010
OK @Jackdaw, exactly what was the bet? Do you win more per page? So far you are up to :beer::beer::beer::beer:. I woke this morning around 7 AM.
LOL no bet. I just don't like the picture. It's an opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. For what its worth, I've had dinner several times with Karen and Gerry from GOB, as some know the mag used to be based out of Minneapolis.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Every action has an effect. That picture was an opportunity to show woman's sailing as it really is; strong; competent, brave. Just like men's. Instead it reinforces the misconception that it is passive, lesser. It's a missed opportunity.
I don't see anything in the picture that suggests that women sailors aren't strong, competent, brave. I see a woman, looks to be single handing, possibly approaching an anchorage in the late afternoon, perhaps after a single-handed passage from, say, Cape May or the Chesapeake, approaching down east Maine. We've all motor-sailed in light air conditions so I couldn't possibly misconstrue that this woman is any lesser than any of us just because the conditions are benign. It looks like she was relaxing in the cockpit and got up to make some adjustments for the final approach to an anchorage, or perhaps home, after a journey. I think I might be offended if she were drinking a cocktail.

Missed opportunity? How so? Are you implying that the perception of women is that they are passive and lesser, therefore, there should not be a missed opportunity to boost their image? I've never had the perception that women are passive and lesser, so it couldn't possibly occur to me that a photograph of a woman in calm conditions represents a missed opportunity to boost the woman's image and the photo somehow reinforces a negative connotation. Beware the soft bigotry of low expectations. If a man can be represented in a photograph featuring benign conditions, then why not a woman?

Aside from that, the photo represents a boat that many of us sail, in the kind of comfortable manner that most of us really enjoy, I think it is a good photo. :cool::cool:

Nov 8, 2010
I don't see anything in the picture that suggests that women sailors aren't strong, competent, brave. I see a woman, looks to be single handing, possibly approaching an anchorage in the late afternoon, perhaps after a single-handed passage from, say, Cape May or the Chesapeake, approaching down east Maine. We've all motor-sailed in light air conditions so I couldn't possibly misconstrue that this woman is any lesser than any of us just because the conditions are benign. It looks like she was relaxing in the cockpit and got up to make some adjustments for the final approach to an anchorage, or perhaps home, after a journey. I think I might be offended if she were drinking a cocktail.

Missed opportunity? How so? Are you implying that the perception of women is that they are passive and lesser, therefore, there should not be a missed opportunity to boost their image? I've never had the perception that women are passive and lesser, so it couldn't possibly occur to me that a photograph of a woman in calm conditions represents a missed opportunity to boost the woman's image and the photo somehow reinforces a negative connotation. Beware the soft bigotry of low expectations. If a man can be represented in a photograph featuring benign conditions, then why not a woman?

Aside from that, the photo represents a boat that many of us sail, in the kind of comfortable manner that most of us really enjoy, I think it is a good photo. :cool::cool:
oh Scott. So many words, and all of them wrong.