Cover for steering assembly / cables?

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
The C310 I have is missing the cover for the steering linkage that is exposed in the aft cabin area. Is that a part I can order somewhere (I didn't see it on catalinadirect)? I'm concerned about the kids being down where while under sail with the cables moving around. See attached pic.

thanks

Attachments

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Contact the factory parts dept. - go to Catalinayachts.com and scroll to the bottom .If they don’t have one, they likely still have the mold and can make one - they’re really good about that.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Is that primary wire (2 of them?) going up the pedestal?

Nov 16, 2012
I believe so. The engine control is mounted on the pedestal.
What are those big wires running to? An amp meter would be my guess, but I’ve never heard of one on a C310. Long way to run the cables!

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
Attached are pics of the new cover from Catalina. It looks like it needs to be trimmed where it meets the aft bulkhead to accomodate the fiberglass molded part of the deck that holds the bulkhead in place. I'm curious how this piece looks on other boats? Does the top edge in mine need to be trimmed all the way around so the flange you screw through sits flat against the deck? Is there any time of foam tape that should be used to keep a tight seal?

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Attached are pics of the new cover from Catalina. It looks like it needs to be trimmed where it meets the aft bulkhead to accomodate the fiberglass molded part of the deck that holds the bulkhead in place. I'm curious how this piece looks on other boats? Does the top edge in mine need to be trimmed all the way around so the flange you screw through sits flat against the deck? Is there any time of foam tape that should be used to keep a tight seal?
Yes. Ours is trimmed around the that part of the bulkhead.

Nov 16, 2012
I’m still curious where the big red wire is going. There shouldn’t be anything in the pedestal or engine pod that needs that much current?

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Ours has some gasket like material around the perimeter. If you get some that is thick enough you may not need to trim it. The gasket material is like weather stripping and you can snug the cover up with screws to seal it.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Will need to trim top flush and back to fit. Here is installed pic. Note that my screw is stripped. You have the chance to make new mounting holes. I also have a new leak and will be removing to find and fix leak at pedestal.
Ed

Attachments

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
Will need to trim top flush and back to fit. Here is installed pic. Note that my screw is stripped. You have the chance to make new mounting holes. I also have a new leak and will be removing to find and fix leak at pedestal.
Ed
thank you for the pic. that really helps!