Cover for Hunter 39

Jun 2, 2022
Hunter Hunter 39 Hartge Yacht Harbor
Hi,

I got a price quote of $6500 from Kinder industries for a custom cover for my Hunter 39 which, after winterizing I leave in the water (Hartge Yacht Harbor, Galesville MD). Also, a few owners of these covers claim it takes at least half a day to mount and remove these covers

Last winter I used tarps over PVC pipes bent over the boom which reached both sides. This was reasonably successful until a very strong winter storm partly tore the tarps.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on reasonably priced custom covers.
Thanks,
John D.

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 36 Northeast, MD
look at ShipShape Canvas in the midwest. They quoted me $2900 for a custom cover for my H36. You can find them online. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, as had a couple of things higher on the priority list.

Jun 2, 2022
George, thanks for your prompt response and useful advice. I logged on to the Ship Shape Canvas website, filled out an order form, and got a response from

Jun 2, 2022
Jim Welinski, saying he would have respond with a quote within a week. They have an impressive website and so far it looks promising.
Thanks again,
John D.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I ordered a cover from The Canvas Shop in Florida For my O’Day 322. That was about 9 years ago. I think it was about $2500 or so.

I am still using it, it is still holding up well, and I install it myself in a couple of hours.

IMG_1805.jpeg

Jun 2, 2022
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find that particular Canvas Shop in Florida.

John D.

Jun 2, 2022
Greg, Thanks for your suggestion and neat photo. I couldn't find that particular company. There are others in different states but none of them seemed promising. John D.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@diduljc

Since you are in MD owning a Hunter, did you try asking Tidewater Marine in Havre de Grace for their advice or suggestion. They were a former Hunter dealer

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Used them on a C30. I could single handed cover the boat in about hours. I now have a B411 with a Fairclough frame and cover that takes more than twice as long

Jun 2, 2022
Dave, thanks for the suggestion. I will contact Tidewater Marine after Thanksgiving.

RitSim, I checked and TopShop doesn't have covers in stock for my Hunter 39. They have for lots for other Hunter models, so I assume not enough 39s were made to justify having them in stock..

Jan 7, 2011
Greg, Thanks for your suggestion and neat photo. I couldn't find that particular company. There are others in different states but none of them seemed promising. John D.
I checked and it is a place in NY…
TheCanvasStore.com

Greg

Jun 2, 2022
Thanks Greg. The website doesn't have an on-line application form. I will contact them on Friday and ask for a quote.

John

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks Greg. The website doesn't have an on-line application form. I will contact them on Friday and ask for a quote.

John
They were at the Chicago boat show the year I ordered it…

I like the cover, in 3 sections that zip together. Fairly easy for me to install by myself. The cloth is holding up well.

But I did have an issue when I first got it…a few of the stanchion collars were in the wrong spots. I think I had to measure them as they didn’t have a template for my boat…so I am not sure who made the error. But I returned it to them after the first season, and they modified it to fix the issues.

Despite the initial issue, it has held up well in our Chicago winters.

Greg

Jun 2, 2022
Greg and others who offered advice on a winter cover for my Hunter 39. After reviewing several websites and contacting different companies I found Greg's recommendation to be spot on. The best for quality and price was Leon Canvas Inc, AKA The Canvas Store: https://thecanvasstore.com/winterve-cors/ On Thursday, 12/21/23 a representative is coming to Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville MD to measure my boat. I have a quote of $4,564 for the high-quality cover which comes in three sections and appears to be relatively easy to install. Other quotes were in the $6000 range, with one coming in at $6,600 and which didn't appear to be superior to Leon Canvas Inc.
Greg, thanks again for your recommendation.
John D.

• Helpful
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Thanks for posting what you decided - helpful for others to see. I've had two boats now with winter covers. The first was 8 years old when I bought the boat, it was made by North Sails when they were still doing winter covers, and it was very heavy plasticized canvas. It was so heavy it REQUIRED two people to lift each of the three pieces, and with any snow at all - or even heavy rain - it would pool and start to rip seams or tear open zippers. It never seemed to fit quite right, and you couldn't tension it correctly to shed snow and rain. The sandbags supplied were a huge PITA to store and transport every year. My current boat has a custom cover that came with it, and it's a much lighter canvas material that still repels water, but fits tightly and is easy to tension correctly so it sheds water and snow nicely without pooling. And it's light enough I can lift all the pieces and install myself over several hours. You get faster the more you do it, but two people make it really relatively quick.

The biggest plus for me is that your deck and canvas are covered for the winter, which means 5 mos of no sun hitting it, no birds crapping on it, no dirt collecting on it, etc. The reduced UV wear is substantial over time, and prepping the boat in spring is a lot less work than scrubbing the crap out of everything that's worked its way into your deck and canvas over winter. Not cheap, but worth it if you can work it into the budget.

Jan 7, 2011
Greg and others who offered advice on a winter cover for my Hunter 39. After reviewing several websites and contacting different companies I found Greg's recommendation to be spot on. The best for quality and price was Leon Canvas Inc, AKA The Canvas Store: https://thecanvasstore.com/winterve-cors/ On Thursday, 12/21/23 a representative is coming to Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville MD to measure my boat. I have a quote of $4,564 for the high-quality cover which comes in three sections and appears to be relatively easy to install. Other quotes were in the $6000 range, with one coming in at $6,600 and which didn't appear to be superior to Leon Canvas Inc.
Greg, thanks again for your recommendation.
John D.
Great. I hope it works out.
Mine is going on 8 or 9 years now…still working great.

Greg

Jun 2, 2022
Greg,

Thanks once again for your help. As mentioned, the best for quality and price was Leon Canvas Inc, AKA The Canvas Store: https://thecanvasstore.com/winterve-cors/ On 12/21/23 the owner and her helper came to Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville MD to measure my boat. The three section cover was delivered on Januay 2, and a friend and I installed it on January 5. It was our first time installing a cover so it took about 2.5 hours. The quality and fit are excellent. Because we didn't remove the bimini and extended solar panel, which the cover owner recommended, we couldn't completely close the cover at the stern. However, it's well secured and we don't anticipate any problems with high winds. See photos. John

Attachments

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Greg,

Thanks once again for your help. As mentioned, the best for quality and price was Leon Canvas Inc, AKA The Canvas Store: https://thecanvasstore.com/winterve-cors/ On 12/21/23 the owner and her helper came to Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville MD to measure my boat. The three section cover was delivered on Januay 2, and a friend and I installed it on January 5. It was our first time installing a cover so it took about 2.5 hours. The quality and fit are excellent. Because we didn't remove the bimini and extended solar panel, which the cover owner recommended, we couldn't completely close the cover at the stern. However, it's well secured and we don't anticipate any problems with high winds. See photos. John
Appreciate the follow-up - a lot of original posters forget (or don't bother) to finish the thread like this. Its great to see that you worked through the process, posted some financials and then photos of the final results with your review. That's what makes a thread truly helpful in the future. Thanks!