Courageous or Crazy?

Oct 29, 2016
Pearson 31-2 Bras D'or
I lived in Newfoundland years ago and watched a seemingly never ending line of people with unimaginable floating devices, either rowing, sailing or floating across the pond or either being rescued or sometimes arriving on this side to polite applause. My vote was always crazy, but watching long lines waiting to become a popsicle on Mt Everest or people flying from great heights with their mother’s bed linen tied to their back I am resigned to the fact we may not be fully evolved quite yet.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I lived in Newfoundland years ago and watched a seemingly never ending line of people with unimaginable floating devices, either rowing, sailing or floating across the pond or either being rescued or sometimes arriving on this side to polite applause. My vote was always crazy, but watching long lines waiting to become a popsicle on Mt Everest or people flying from great heights with their mother’s bed linen tied to their back I am resigned to the fact we may not be fully evolved quite yet.
@Daddio417 Are you currently sailing on Bras D'or in Nova Scotia? That's supposed to be a really beautiful area to sail!

dj

Jan 29, 2018
Allmand 31 Northport, MI
This is a medical emergency waiting to happen, slugging of the blood in the legs s a result of inadequate activity and eventual clotting.
Slugging of blood as someone mentioned of is not the only problem.
Blood thinners and stool softeners definitely should be on the med list.

ArtN

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bobbing up/down/sideways/roll-over. Puking. Eating meat paste From the walls of you craft. Stool softeners.

This does not sound like a fun cruise. I‘m glad the last time I cruised the Atlantic it was in 5-6 days aboard the USS Untied States. Her fastest run was 3 day 10 hours. Barley enough time to find you cabin and the dining room. Of course Mr Bedwell will not have that problem.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've been thinking about this 3' boat design as a foiling kite boat.
1656264625025.png

Really cut that 90 days at sea down to something more like a week. Less food, less ballast, less effected by choppy seas. If a storm comes up, pull it all in and batten down with the foil and kite acting as a drogue. Maybe build her tall, so you can stand up in her and still be enclosed.

-Will

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I've been thinking about this 3' boat design as a foiling kite boat.
View attachment 206681
Really cut that 90 days at sea down to something more like a week. Less food, less ballast, less effected by choppy seas. If a storm comes up, pull it all in and batten down with the foil and kite acting as a drogue. Maybe build her tall, so you can stand up in her and still be enclosed.

-Will
That looks more airplane than boat, must be fast. I'm not sure it would be any better than the 1 meter boat for crossing an ocean though.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
must be fast.
It is getting ready to break the World speed record for sailboats.

not sure it would be any better than the 1 meter boat for crossing an ocean though.
It's biggest advantage would be in the amount of time at sea. Imagine, even if you only made 40 knots instead of the 65 kn or so, whatever the record is, that 400 miles to Greenland could be done in a one day weather window. Then, a couple of leisurely days along the coast until another day's jump to Iceland. Another long day, and you're at the Faroe Islands, then on to Scotland or Norway. See, just about a week of sailing with time and opportunity to wait for your perfect weather window.

-Will