Could Winter be over?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Didn't the weather rodent call for an early spring? We're looking at another 2 weeks of relatively cool weather here in FL. So I'm not sure it will be that warm up there in Sand Town.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I hope winter is not over, we're having a blast. Got up this morning and took three runs with my daughter. She stayed skiing with her friends and I took a beautiful 72 mile ride on the snowmobile. Trails for skiing and snowmobiling have really never been better, but cover is thin for this time of year. This means one good melt could end it all. This late in the season they don't typically spend a ton of money on snow-making or trail maintenance once the mud starts poking out.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Warm enough in the home state of said rodent for me to get out and install my panel and Victron today. Progress finally.
Hope my cheapo panel does better when there is less atmosphere in the path.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Lots of motorcycles out on this 56* F day, but alas we are scheduled to receive some wet weather with some possible white stuff this coming week, one could hope and dream of an early launch......

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Winter sure isn't over on the coast of Maine. But we'll climb close to 50F today so it feels like spring is in the air. The warm sun prompted me to unlace the end of the cover and stick a ladder up. I'd normally have to shovel some snow to do this but not yesterday. Everything is dry below thanks to some ventilation, just I left it in November.
Under cover 2020.jpg

I've got a few typical projects to do but no intention of starting, yet. I took a look a NOAA's long range predictions for the next few months, and beyond.

True to the typical, the next few months may be a little wetter than normal (drat!). That's a tough condition for those of us that store outdoors. But it will more than likely be a little warmer than normal so that may help offset the wet.

While in the long range forecast area of the NOAA site, I couldn't resist taking a peek at further predictions for season 2020. We just stepped off January 2020, the hottest month ever recorded(of particular note because the warmest January recorded in 141 years, wasn't during an El Nino event).

Seeing as we've already completed 1/12th of 2020 with record warmth, I wasn't surprised to see the temperature predictions for June, July and August.

This higher than normal temp prediction holds through October for us on the Maine coast (especially Southern Me.).

Percipitation on the other hand isn't predicted to be above normal, which would be nice. These prediction odds are all good news for me - as a sailor, and good reason to spend more time on the water.

Long range predictin 2020.gif

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've only had one day to even briefly test my Subaru Outback's AWD system. I could drive out to western Kansas and try it. Or not.