Cost of owning a C-310

Jan 6, 2010
Chris,

I have to say, I think you nailed it man,
If slip costs & what's important for you gives you what you want out of life,
that's your best case scenario.

Luckily, after 5 minutes from leaving my dock, I'm out in the Gulf of Mexico.
I have to believe you feel that same feeling. It just comes down to quality time & I believe, this is most paramount.

Always Fly sideways my friend................

CR

Sep 13, 2014
Catalina 36 MKII - 1885 Lighthouse Point, FL
Chris, I have to say, I think you nailed it man, If slip costs & what's important for you gives you what you want out of life, that's your best case scenario. Luckily, after 5 minutes from leaving my dock, I'm out in the Gulf of Mexico. I have to believe you feel that same feeling. It just comes down to quality time & I believe, this is most paramount. Always Fly sideways my friend................ CR
I've always wanted to say this....."Thanks Capt'n Ron!"

Sounds nice out there on the gulf side - enjoy!

....sideways....lol ;)

Cheers!
Chris

May 14, 2013
Catalina 310 Falmouth
I have owned my 310 since 2002, with all large and small repairs, doing most of the work, and operational costs it has been about $8000.00 per year, with some years 3k and others, last year, 10k.
enjoy

Sep 13, 2014
Catalina 36 MKII - 1885 Lighthouse Point, FL
I have owned my 310 since 2002, with all large and small repairs, doing most of the work, and operational costs it has been about $8000.00 per year, with some years 3k and others, last year, 10k. enjoy
Thanks,

So that's an average of 8K a year since you bought it in 2002? I realize a new sail set and rigging, when replaced after many years, is going to be a big number in the year that it occurs, but 8K on a yearly average seems like a lot for this size boat, unless you've had to replace some major things. Maybe I was just lucky, but my twin engine "fuel hog" 34' motorboat - even with all it's quirks and parts replacements rarely topped 6K a year in maintenance and upkeep costs. One year it was close to 8K, but I had both engines manifolds and risers replaced as well as a carb and governor on the genset, that year. I remember writing that extra $3000 check. Christmas was pretty thin that year!

Unless you're including dockage costs, fuel use (you did say operational costs), in that figure, in which case it makes much more sense. But maybe I'm just out of touch on this - wouldn't be the first time!

Cheers!
Chris

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks, So that's an average of 8K a year since you bought it in 2002? I realize a new sail set and rigging, when replaced after many years, is going to be a big number in the year that it occurs, but 8K on a yearly average seems like a lot for this size boat, unless you've had to replace some major things. Maybe I was just lucky, but my twin engine "fuel hog" 34' motorboat - even with all it's quirks and parts replacements rarely topped 6K a year in maintenance and upkeep costs. One year it was close to 8K, but I had both engines manifolds and risers replaced as well as a carb and governor on the genset, that year. I remember writing that extra $3000 check. Christmas was pretty thin that year! Unless you're including dockage costs, fuel use (you did say operational costs), in that figure, in which case it makes much more sense. But maybe I'm just out of touch on this - wouldn't be the first time! Cheers! Chris
I suspect he included dockage and insurance in that cost.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
My costs

$2400/year slip
$100/year fuel
$1700 last year for new jib
$200 for overnight slip fees for trips
$500/year insurance
Working or sailing on the boat - priceless!

I did not count some of the upgrades (e.g. adjustable jib cars, ...) as that stuff is just fun and relaxing to do.