Cost of annual maintenance on a Yanmar 2GMF

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Has anyone paid for oil change, new air and fuel filters installed in my region. I want to know how much money I'm saving by doing it myself.

Thanks.

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Has anyone paid for oil change, new air and fuel filters installed in my region. I want to know how much money I'm saving by doing it myself.

Thanks.
Review the OEM manual for maintenance. Find out the local hourly rate and then you can figure out the charge. Don't forget the time the tech will be driving to and from the shop.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Usually about 2 hours labor, travel to and from the boat - usually at the same labor rate, plus parts.

Some of the marinas, Herrington comes to mind, that are AT the boat yard, often waive the travel charge.

Midatlantic area - $250-500 for the whole job, would be the range I would expect.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Suggest changing oil and oil filter yourself and save approximately $200+ maintenance labor and travel cost as it is simple and fast. If you decide to change the fuel filter be sure to properly bleed out the air or hire a mechanic to do it.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Definitely do your oil and filter yourself. Two beer job on my boat. You should also learn to do your fuel filters yourself, if you get clogged filters while underway you should be able to at least change them yourself. I cringe at the idea of paying someone $80-$100/hr to change my oil

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
To clarify, I WILL BE doing the work myself. I wanted to know how much I'm saving by doing it myself.

Kinda like when my sump pump went out at home a few weeks ago. I found out that our American Homeshield Warranty doesn't cover our sump pump because our A/C condensate drains into the sump pit. The plumbers had already arrived so I asked them how much for them to replace the pump. $650. I sent them away, bought a comparable pump from a plumbing supply house and installed it myself in 20 minutes, on Percocet. (I'd been in the ER earlier that day for a kidney stone). So I saved myself $500 on that project.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Your saving hundreds (at least 200) every time you change your oil and filter yourself. Learn to change your fuel filters and impeller your self and change your oil and you can Bust Out Another Thousand on your boat for some awesome electronics or something else you like. Plus you have the benefit of knowing how to fix (keep spare parts and belts on board) all of the not so major things that will mess up your day.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Learn to change your fuel filters and impeller your self
I've replaced the impeller before.

Yesterday, I replaced the fuel filter for the first time. It was definitely due. Bled the fuel line, fired the engine. Beautiful.

Attachments

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
I've replaced the impeller before.

Yesterday, I replaced the fuel filter for the first time. It was definitely due. Bled the fuel line, fired the engine. Beautiful.
Nice! Did you change your primary fuel filter too?

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Also changed the oil (engine and trans) and oil filter, and air filter.

Can't say enough about my new oil extractor from West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-5l--11047123

The largest of the suction tubes just fits in the dipstick hole. 5-6 pumps and it sucked out all the motor oil in 60-90 seconds.

I see that they also sell a smaller version of the same pump. It is large enough to have done the job too. Oh well.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, the tougher one is the secondary and having to bleed the fuel system. Saved yourself a bundle there!

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Actually, bleeding the system was pretty simple. There's a lever on the fuel pump at the aft edge. After I replaced the filter, I removed the bleed screw from the top, pumped the lever until fuel came out the bleed hole and them reinstalled the bleed screw.