Cost of a jib furler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
I just took ownership of a pristine 1990 C-30; the one thing that I wish it had us a furling jib.

Has anyone added a fuller lately? What should I expect to spend to buy one, have the sail adjusted, and all installed? The boat has a 155 jib (a 110 and storm jib also); I assume that once I have a furler, I won't be able to use the other jibs, is that right?

I was hesitant about not having a furler, but watched the owner put the jib on in 3 minutes... took him about 4 to remove and flake it.

Thanks,

Bob

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
A quick look online, looks like Harken, Hood, etc run $1500 - $2500, not sure if that is just the furler system or the furler and foil. I don't know what the cost of modifying your 155 jib and adding UV protection to the sail.

Certainly worth their weight in gold. The downside is that you can't change sails easily (I believe all would have to be modified to fit the foil of the furler) If you needed the storm jib, you could modify the that sail to fit over the furled jib.

If you didn't do that, you could install a downhaul for the jib, this would help take the sail down quicker.

Chris

Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
Team118 said:
A quick look online, looks like Harken, Hood, etc run $1500 - $2500, not sure if that is just the furler system or the furler and foil. I don't know what the cost of modifying your 155 jib and adding UV protection to the sail.

Certainly worth their weight in gold. The downside is that you can't change sails easily (I believe all would have to be modified to fit the foil of the furler) If you needed the storm jib, you could modify the that sail to fit over the furled jib.

If you didn't do that, you could install a downhaul for the jib, this would help take the sail down quicker.

Chris
Thanks... I've been told I'd need to send the sail off to be modified for the furler; I think I'll wait until next season and see how often I use the 110, if at all. Being a new sailor, I'll have plenty to learn this season. :)

Bob

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Bob- I installed an Alado furler on my C27. It works great and price was a reasonable $700. It would be more for a C30 and I believe the prices have gone up since last year. The halyard is self contained so you don't use the jib halyard on the mast. No halyard wrap worries. The install is done with the mast up but you will have to disconnect the forestay to put on the drum. It took me 2-3 hours to install by myself. There are also some sail lofts that offer a package for sail and furler like sailwarehouse. There is nothing wrong with a hank on sail which I used the first season I owned the boat. As was suggested above attaching a down haul makes getting the sail down quickly and safely. I sail single hand alot and climbing forward over the cabin was a pain as there is not much side decks to navigate on a C27. My 135 genoa came from Hyde and has the verticle strip luff pads to help maintain shape when partially reefed. I will say I am very happy I installed the furler.
Doug

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have to tell you that if you are considering price, also consider quality and the way a company stands behind their product.

My boat is a 1990 tall rig bow sprit. I have a Profurl on my boat. I had some issues with my Profurl and I needed to replace the top extrusion and had some issues with the top piece of the furler. Profurl sent me a cut to my measurements extrusion and the pieces to my top swivel for free.....including shipping. I didn't buy the unit but they said that it was covered for life. The parts would have cost me over $500.

Feb 5, 2012
Bad Obsession said:
I have to tell you that if you are considering price, also consider quality and the way a company stands behind their product.

My boat is a 1990 tall rig bow sprit. I have a Profurl on my boat. I had some issues with my Profurl and I needed to replace the top extrusion and had some issues with the top piece of the furler. Profurl sent me a cut to my measurements extrusion and the pieces to my top swivel for free.....including shipping. I didn't buy the unit but they said that it was covered for life. The parts would have cost me over $500.
Good to know, thanks; I have a 1990 Tall as well... haven't sailed it yet though, will get it here on the 27th... seems like an eternity!

May 23, 2004
I carry a 155%. When I replace the jib I want to go down to a 135% because the 155 is a lot of sail. I feel over powered in wind over 12 knots.

I also carry a 100%. I have used it once and it was sailing upwind in 4 foot waves and 15+ knot winds. I carried it with a full main and it was very comfortable. I was at 15 degrees, running the autopilot, and sitting under the dodger.

Feb 5, 2012
Bad Obsession said:
I carry a 155%. When I replace the jib I want to go down to a 135% because the 155 is a lot of sail. I feel over powered in wind over 12 knots.

I also carry a 100%. I have used it once and it was sailing upwind in 4 foot waves and 15+ knot winds. I carried it with a full main and it was very comfortable. I was at 15 degrees, running the autopilot, and sitting under the dodger.
I have a 155 as well, and a 110; I was thinking if I went to a furler that I'd use the 155. I'm going to sail this season and see if I feel the need or the furler after a year. The previous owner put the 155 on in 3 minutes while I timed him, and he really wasn't rushing at all...

May 23, 2004
Putting on the sails is no problem at all. The furler is just a convenience thing. It also allows you to roller reef the jib. It is a good thing but my older 155 doesn't like to reef much further down that 120%. That is 35% on the furler.

In the end you may want to have both fixed. Here is the bugger part though.....If you go to a furler you have to change out the luff tape AND you have to add a sacrificial strip on the jib as well. That is where it gets expensive. I think that I changed the luff on my 100 for about $200. It is that damn sun strip that is expensive.

I love my furling. This is my first boat with a furler. I say that mandatory equipment on my boats would be a furling, dodger, bimini, and autopilot. All things are important because I single hand.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
dj2210 said:
Bob- I installed an Alado furler on my C27. It works great and price was a reasonable $700. It would be more for a C30 and I believe the prices have gone up since last year. The halyard is self contained so you don't use the jib halyard on the mast. No halyard wrap worries. The install is done with the mast up but you will have to disconnect the forestay to put on the drum. It took me 2-3 hours to install by myself. There are also some sail lofts that offer a package for sail and furler like sailwarehouse. There is nothing wrong with a hank on sail which I used the first season I owned the boat. As was suggested above attaching a down haul makes getting the sail down quickly and safely. I sail single hand alot and climbing forward over the cabin was a pain as there is not much side decks to navigate on a C27. My 135 genoa came from Hyde and has the verticle strip luff pads to help maintain shape when partially reefed. I will say I am very happy I installed the furler.
Doug
I second the Alado. We installed one on our last boat and it was great. The sail modification cost us $500 with a local sail maker.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I agree with Bad Obsession about the 155 Genoa. I have a 155 as well & it does get overpowered at about 12 to 15 knots of wind, but ut is good to have in light air. I have a Hood Furler on my C 30 which has been very reliable. I believe the Alado was well rated by Practical Sailor, and the price sounds good. Halyard wrap is a real issue with a lot of furlers. My previous boat, an S 2 had a new Harken Furler which never worked right. It wrapped & jambed constantly when in higher winds - right when U need it to work.
I had 3 different rigging companies work on it, and after many modifications it still had problems. The idea of an internal halyard within the furler could prevent this.
I also had an inexpensive CDI Furler on a C 25 that was very simple to use.
It also did not require the use of the jib halyard. That said, sailors have been raising & lowering hank on sails the old fashioned way for eons. As already stated, U will have to modify your jibs to work with a furler, and the UV strip is a must. My C 25 didn't have a UV strip and got shredded in a storm due to UV sunlight weakening the dacron fibers. Enjoy your boat. We love our C 30, as I'm sure we all do on this site. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.