Cost for a used sail

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Someone is trying to sell me a used light #1. I have attached pictures. I have not seen it in person yet, but he says that is has only been used a few times and is still in perfect condition. Wind range is 0-8 knots.

How much do you all think it is worth?
You could always check with Ulman Sails and ask them for a quote. See what it would cost new. Do not tell them you are looking as a used one. Assuming it is a 155% I would expect new to be around $1,000+ due to the material. I purchased a new 155 tri-radial dacron for around $800 a few years back.

Hershey
*****************************************************************************************

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
The person told me that it cost him $1,500 new and he wants $950 for it but that seems high for a used sail.

The problem with checking with Ullman is that the person who wants to sell me this sail is my contact at Ullman.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would say, If you trust he's telling the truth about the life still left in the sail, that's a good deal. $550 off of $1500. About 40% off.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have you tried comparing used sail prices at the online lofts?
Just match condition of sail and see what you find.
It will give you some reference points to use as comparison.

Oct 22, 2014
Like a broken clock I come up with the right time twice a day... just lucky...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Go to another place, there are a whole bunch of online resources to price stuff. The price differential is not great enough, unless it is great enough, in which case, you get what you pay for and that 155 for $75 is probably better suited as an awning over a campsite in the mountains.
Of course the sail is perfect, lightly used and stored in a felt lined bag in a climate controlled warehouse.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
For comparison I have a Catalina 22 so it's a masthead rig with a large 150 and I to got a quote from Ullman. A race dacron was more than the composite sail you have pictured and ran $1709 with a 20% fall discount (september) making it $1367. The Composite sail like you pictured was 1100 before the same discount. I did not wind up going with Ullman as I wanted a cloth that was more a hybrid of racing / cruise dacron and they were just too expensive. These prices were direct from the Loft in San Diego. That sail will last about 5 years according to the Ullman loft before it will start breaking down. The shape will be there until the very end but when she goes she will go with a bang. I would up going with a warpdrive cloth from a different loft as it was closer to the sail type I wanted being dacron and all which ran me just about a grand with windows and modifications. When doing research I got quotes from more than 10 lofts across the country so if you want more specific numbers shoot me a PM and I will share those with you. I would value that sail closer to the 700-800 range and I would be asking why the original owner did not want to keep it.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Someone is trying to sell me a used light #1. I have attached pictures. I have not seen it in person yet, but he says that is has only been used a few times and is still in perfect condition. Wind range is 0-8 knots.

How much do you all think it is worth?

Unless you are really into racing I would stay away from the high tech materials. I purchased my 155 from FX sails, tri-radial dacron for around $800. I believe the dacron sail life is a lot longer.

Aug 1, 2011
Not necessarily. I have a 155 plastic furler from FX and it's coming up on 7 years old, and still quite serviceable. Just like anything, you take care of stuff and it'll last the expected service life.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Not necessarily. I have a 155 plastic furler from FX and it's coming up on 7 years old, and still quite serviceable.
Every loft I spoke to for a C22 said that laminate sails have a 3-5 year race life. After that point they will still have their shape but you are on borrowed time before they fail catastrophically. I think this life is extended when the sail in on a furler as its rolled the same way every time but this is a Capri 22 and since the sail in the picture is a Hank on it will need to be rolled after every sail to be cared for properly. Most of these are stored in the boat until the next race and are exposed to the heat / humidity of the small boat during the week before there used again. Overall the sail in the picture looks to be in good shape but if I am depending on it for a race sail and not a practice sail I would be cautious about the price. Also its a light wind sail so you'll need a heavier weight for anything over 8kts.

Here is North Sails Regatta genno (black aramid I think) for a Catalina 22 (larger sail)
https://www.northorder.com/securenew/catalina22.php

Here is the same quote for the Capri 22
https://www.northorder.com/securenew/capri22.php

Feb 16, 2017
I have better prices than North or Ullman that's for sure.....:) I have Capri 22 Tall rig premium HTP dacron full race Mainsail includes everything for less than that.
Seams bonded and sewn with 3 step zigzag stitching.
·Stainless Steel Rings with webbing load tapes at each corner.
·Quick adjust Leech Line and Foot Line, Tell Tales, and Roll Bag.
·Full top batten with 3 longer lower leech battens
·One Row of Reef Points, Sail slides or Luff Rope as Needed
·Sail Insignia, Numbers, and Draft Stripes

HTP dacron is the best dacron available.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Maybe @JudyB will be able to provide some insight. For my Mariner 19, her standard dacron loose footed main with one reef point, two years ago was only $500-$600. I checked several custom and warehouse sail lofts for my one-design sails. She was the best price and top notch service. I have little experience with sail purchasing, but I am a fan of her's.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Every loft I spoke to for a C22 said that laminate sails have a 3-5 year race life.
Race Life and Cruising Life are completely different. As for value, that's the difference between what you want to pay and what they will accept. The price is pretty decent for a sail like that though. The price difference between mains and jib/Genoa's is a bit as well. Not really comparable. Go to the FX sails website and get a online quote. Very easy to do. Honestly, I would find a Dacron 135% sail and just use that.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
It is of interest because it is only 2 oz and will be sailing in very low winds speeds very often.

I have the factory 155% but it is 5 oz and will just hang in the really low wind speeds

Aug 1, 2011
I'd be careful about basing a purchase on impressions from the ol' interweb. While everybody is really great people and fun to hang around with, if you are looking for validation towards something that involves spending money, you will, at the end of the day, only have yourself to blame if you go running down the street waving 100 bills. Nobody here has seen this sail, fewer still are in a position to understand what it is to you, and even fewer can grasp what you intend to do with it. This crowd can give you tech specs, and possible places to buy one from, but the end use is your decision.

Oct 22, 2014
Such truth @Meriachee, but a bit of a downer.... :frown:

He asked us, “How much do you think it is worth?

That is a pretty wide open opportunity. First we get to THINK... then we get to tell him what IT IS.... worth. Even Clinton did not know what the meaning of “IS - Is” let alone it’s worth...
Where can you have more fun than this?

Aug 1, 2011
@jssailem , my apologies. I'd pay $14 for it, I'm sure your number is different. That's my point. It's of little to no value to me or you.