CorrosionX

ehh

May 15, 2011
Albin Vega 27 Dahlgren VA
I have heard good things about CorrosionX. However before I go crazy with it I'd like to ask if there are any "don'ts" about it. Is it safe to use on hose clamps for example? Does it react badly with gaskets or hoses or other synthetic material?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
EPDM reacts badly ...

... but most elastomers should be fine.

Gates "green line" coolant hose, for eg., is suseptible to oil. I've seen AF hoses ruined by minor drips.

If not a petroleum service, be suspect. Use moderation.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
You don't say what you want to go "crazy" on...?? The WM product got the Practical Sailor seal of approval but it is thick and brownish and can make quite a mess.

As thin water said you need to be careful with some of these products as they may cause gasket leaks. PB Blaster for example can eat a transmission seal in about 20 minutes and cause lots of big $$$ damage.

ehh

May 15, 2011
Albin Vega 27 Dahlgren VA
Well, by "go crazy" I guess I meant spray it on anything that looks like it might corrode. From what was said I guess that rubberish things not meant for fuel are best to stay away from. So for example maybe don't spray the hose clamps on the stuffing box. Any maybe not spray hose clamps on exhaust hose. How about on turnbuckles and stainless wire cables?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Well, by "go crazy" I guess I meant spray it on anything that looks like it might corrode. From what was said I guess that rubberish things not meant for fuel are best to stay away from. So for example maybe don't spray the hose clamps on the stuffing box. Any maybe not spray hose clamps on exhaust hose. How about on turnbuckles and stainless wire cables?
1- You should not need to spray proper 316SS hose clamps as they should not rust. If you have hose clamps rusting they are not suitable for the marine environment.

2- Unless you want a greasy mess on everything then there is no need to spray SS wire or turnbuckles. For turnbuckles use Lanokote and work the turnbuckle up and down over the threads until it is working smoothly. Then once fully lubed wipe the excess (read messy) Lanokote off the threads and turnbuckle. If you lube them once per year they will work perfectly for longer than the standing rigging is technically safe.