correct prop size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The only way you "overload" an engine is with the wrong sized/pitched prop. This can and does happen with two blade props as well as three blade.

Any prop, regardless of blades, should allow the engine to turn max rated RPM at max throttle in smooth water with a clean bottom. If your motor can't attain max RPM then it is over loaded or over propped.

Universal/Westerbeke will deny warranty coverage if you are over-propped..
I would second the information from Maine (and Stu).
Since buying our boat in '94, we have used the orig. two-blade fixed, a two-blade featherer for a decade, and now for a couple seasons, a three-blade fixed.
Best for sailing by far is the feathering prop. Best for motoring, By Far, is the fixed three-blade.

If you can live with the speed loss under sail (and we have, about a full knot, so far...) the three blade is waaaaay superior.

The prior feathering or fixed 2-blade designs routinely lost a knot or two against a chop.

So my SWAG is that "there's no substitute for blade area". :)
Out there in the future, as soon as we find a winning Lotto ticket, we will change to a three--blade feathering prop!

Loren

(M25XP Universal)

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I just got my prop back from West by North. I have to say they are top notch! I had their prop on for two seasons before sending it back to be re-pitched. They did it at no charge and even paid for the shipping back to me. Great people, now I can't wait to launch.

I have a question. When I removed the cotter pin holding the nut it just broke instead of bending like I would have thought. It seemed brittle. I bought them at West Marine, I believe it's 2-1/2 to maybe 3" long. Is there a special cotter pin for underwater use?

Status
Not open for further replies.